What are your favorite features?

I actually don't save 'templates', instead I just save my set-ups as a project file (but obviously no audio/MIDI files associated with it.

I started by creating a new project. I use EZ Drummer 2, so I created the tracks for that, including the routing of the various'mics' to their own channels, mute the 'room' mic (which I never use). I've created a project for each of the various EZD2 kit set-ups (like the 4 mic). I add a reverb buss track to the EZD2 group as I like to send drums to a separate reverb from instruments.
I then add an Instrument Group (with a couple of tracks and a reverb buss, a Vocal group with a couple of tracks and a Reverb bus. I set the routing for the tracks to the buses, but leave their send on 0. I insert ReaVerb onto the reverb busses.
Once set up, I save these as basic projects so that when I start a new song recording, I just select one, usually set a beat as a metronome in EZD2, then can immediately select an instrument track to record my first scratch track.
Even on songs where I don't use EZD, I'll use it as a metronome, just mute it when I'm done tracking.

Setting these project-templates up initially took less than 10 minutes, but it saves that time (and the interruption) every time I start a new project.

So, MJB, when you're opening a new project, how to you access this saved template and how do you save the project without altering the template? Please forgive my ignorance.

I can't even start with this kind of hyperbole. Like, I could literally just list all of the features and never be able to pick a favorite. Reaper is the best DAW, and possibly the best piece of software period - that I've ever gotten to touch.

Anyway, did you folks know that you can load any project as though it was a track template? Go to browse for a track template, change the file type drop down to reaper project, find your project file and you're there. I've found it pretty useful at times.

So, MJB, when you're opening a new project, how to you access this saved template and how do you save the project without altering the template? Please forgive my ignorance.

'Open Project', select the saved 'template' (I name them 'EZ Drummer____ (kit name) FULL'), then once it opens, I save it under a new name 'NAME OF SONG_date' in a new folder (also name of song).

Count me in on the template thing. I just copied a couple of guitar tracks with FX chains to a new project - just took a few seconds.

New favorite thing

I've been using Reaper for awhile now, several years, and one thing I've always meant to adjust was the track screen scrolling. I've always disliked the default setting where the cursor moves left to right, then disappears for a second while the page flips and then the same till the end. It's especially irritating in the piano roll editor.

I never managed to remember to change that feature.. until today. Under Options, I selected Continuous Scrolling and it's beautiful. The cursor starts as before, moves to the halfway point and stops.. then the track begins scrolling with cursor in place.

Yes.. I'm happy :listeningmusic:

Just crawled up from the basement with another cool feature : Nudge Volume

To gently nudge volume(s) on one or more random tracks simultaneously, SHIFT + Left Click selected tracks, then CTRL + UP/DOWN ARROW.

Note: Just tapping the arrow makes a single nudge and continuing taps seem to have no effect - instead of tapping, hold the arrow down.. it won't speed up but does continue to gently nudge in the selected direction.

Last edited:
...one or more random tracks simultaneously, SHIFT + Left Click...
As with literally everything else in Windows, Shift+Left Click selects everything between whatever was selected initially and whatever you clicked. To get actually arbitrary non-contiguous selection, just plain click the first track you want, then Ctrl+click each of the others to add them to the selection.

I stand corrected.. :D I made the mistake of trying this on just two tracks at first, which of course was misleading.

Thanks! :thumbs up:

Yeah, if the one to the left was a collapsed folder track, you’d have been changing the children too, which would be redundant and effectively double your gain change for them. Not too long ago on the Reaper forum there was somebody trying to render just the folder parents, but ending up with the children too because they were shifting when they should have controlled.

Thanks for pointing that one out. I haven't made any folders yet, but I'm sure I would have done exactly what you said - and scratched my head for a time.

The "oz"

Tonight I discovered the "ozzifier" down in the basement. Sure, it's always been there with all the other plugins, but it's not one I would've gone looking for on my own at this stage. Found it in a thread where the OP was looking for a vocal FX a bit different from the usual chorus/delay.

Playing around with it a bit, things got way out of hand easily. I was able to reel it in to a couple of nice settings on one of my scratch vocal tracks. I saved it on that track so I wouldn't have to track it down again if I forgot it when I get back to the vocal at a later date.

:D Exactly not my style.. I was going to try it for a little delay and separation. I'm playing with running the vocal through an amp sim using various combinations of overhead mics and rooms - removing the cab mics. This gives great separation for guitar, but not as well for vocal. The "ozzifier" is a little better on separation.

Back