What are your favorite features?

And anOther thing... :D

New cool feature.. Say you have a solid track and you want to have it sound a specific way but only in a specific spot. Say you want the last word in a phrase to reverberate.

One way is to split the section out at both ends, open the FX window, then drag ReaVerb or whatever FX you want to that split item and drop it. The effect is not snubbed at the end of the item, it's sound continues and trails off over the next item/section. Seamless with no cross-fading required.

When you add that FX to the split item, another window opens labeled FX Item instead of FX Track. So don't cornfuze the two.

And anOther thing... :D

New cool feature.. Say you have a solid track and you want to have it sound a specific way but only in a specific spot. Say you want the last word in a phrase to reverberate.

One way is to split the section out at both ends, open the FX window, then drag ReaVerb or whatever FX you want to that split item and drop it. The effect is not snubbed at the end of the item, it's sound continues and trails off over the next item/section. Seamless with no cross-fading required.

When you add that FX to the split item, another window opens labeled FX Item instead of FX Track. So don't cornfuze the two.

:guitar: It's been around a while; REAPER | Videos

Thanks for the Video link :listeningmusic:

Many don't know these videos exist, just Youtube substitutes. Most of these posted features are not new to Reaper but are new to me and I'm having a good time discovering them for the first time :guitar:

Tonight I discovered the "ozzifier" down in the basement. Sure, it's always been there with all the other plugins, but it's not one I would've gone looking for on my own at this stage. Found it in a thread where the OP was looking for a vocal FX a bit different from the usual chorus/delay.

Playing around with it a bit, things got way out of hand easily. I was able to reel it in to a couple of nice settings on one of my scratch vocal tracks. I saved it on that track so I wouldn't have to track it down again if I forgot it when I get back to the vocal at a later date.

I've used that a time or two (not recently), works best in a Sabbath-type song, of course!

:D Exactly not my style.. I was going to try it for a little delay and separation. I'm playing with running the vocal through an amp sim using various combinations of overhead mics and rooms - removing the cab mics. This gives great separation for guitar, but not as well for vocal. The "ozzifier" is a little better on separation.
I added the JS: Stereo Width to the Ozzifier and after some fiddling got some decent vocal separation with delay. It really smoothed out my vocal - well, I call it smoothing anyway.

Ozeo.jpg

The effect is not snubbed at the end of the item, it's sound continues and trails off over the next item/section.
Note that the length of those tails are controlled by a setting in Preferences|Media.
I added the JS: Stereo Width...
Did you check it in mono? Some people I guess don't care what happens, but that's a whole lot of phase fuckery you've got going on.

Note that the length of those tails are controlled by a setting in Preferences|Media.
Thanks! I didn't notice that and will check it out because even though it's just long enough, I'd like it a bit longer.

I added the JS: Stereo Width to the Ozzifier and after some fiddling got some decent vocal separation with delay. It really smoothed out my vocal - well, I call it smoothing anyway.
Did you check it in mono? Some people I guess don't care what happens, but that's a whole lot of phase fuckery you've got going on.
Didn't check mono. Right now I'm just throwing shit together to see what happens. Already found a couple other stereo FX that seem to work better without all that phase stuff.

I haven't tried any of these in a mix yet as these are just some test runs to get started with. I've got them all stacked in the FX window for future mix tests when I get the vocal down with the rest.

Just listening to these on this solo vocal, I like the MDA Pseudo-Stereo best. It doesn't have the Reverb - just Delay. The delay doesn't sound too appealing. I'll add a bit of reverb to it later in the mix and check it out. This one also seems to boost the gain, even though it's output is at 0dB. All the meters in these three FX read -18.

Stereo All.jpg

Multi-Band Dynamic EQ (ReaEQ)

Looking for ways to remove unwanted frequencies and such led me to this.. [MENTION=142548]ashcat_lt[/MENTION]'s favorite;) This is unreal.. :listeningmusic:

He really should have made the sidechain - sub a lowpass. The way he’s got it set up, that sub band is actually reacting to the full spectrum. It is getting proportionately more of the sub frequencies, but very loud higher frequencies will still trigger it too. He set up the top end correctly, though he didn’t really have to add a second hand. Just change the shelf to an hpf and adjust the detector to compensate.

I appreciate Kenny’s contribution to the community, but some things like this just drive me nuts. His video on Pan Law is fucked, and I’ve told him, but he hasn’t bothered to fix it.

Headphone Mix

I REALLY like the Headphone Mix setup. Right now, I've got mine as Track 1 which docks it immediately right of Master in the mixer.

Clicking the Routing icon on any track will open it's routing window. On the Headphone Mix Track, the routing window contains all the sends from tracks you want in that mix, along with simple mixing capability for each of those tracks - a mini mixer section for headphones.

Previously, when setting up a headphone mix to record a new track, and after setting the desired recording level, I'd get the new track about where I wanted it volume-wise in the headphone mix using it's headphone mix fader, then hit play to check levels. Well, hitting play closed the headphone mix routing window and I had to keep reopening it each time while adjusting the mix. So, I sez.. just pin the window open. HA! no dice! The routing window has no pin! :spank: So off I go to the Reaper Forums... and whad'dya know.. I found a cure :

a) Open Reaper Preferences > General.
b) Open "Advanced UI/system tweaks"
c) Checkmark the setting "allow track envelope/routing windows to stay open"

And so.. the sun sets on another wonderful day on the spantini ranch :listeningmusic:

Last edited:
Removing pick snap - Quick Repair

I recorded two acoustic guitar tracks - same rhythm structure start to finish with the usual slight differences. The first track had an awful pick snap when it hit the edge of the soundhole and that had to go.

Instead of doing micro-surgery with an EQ, I just did a quick transplant. Zooming in on all tracks, I highlighted both guitar items and put a split at the start of the pick snap - which also split the second guitar at the same location. Then I did the other end. Then I cut the offending item, copied the second good item and pasted it into the first guitar item. Played it back, all was good, then I glued it all together. Less than a minute.. BAM!

Initially, I tried a Volume Envelope approach putting a deep cut at the snap sound, but it left an audible absence.

The biggest drawback to pasting in a better version of a part on acoustic guitar is matching the strumming. I usually track the guitar part twice and will crossfade to remove a bad section.

Recently, recording a folk guitarist who doesn't use a pick, there were some noticeable bass string 'thuds' and some string squeaks. I used volume automation for some - the thuds, taking them down 5-10dB helped, without getting the 'silence, string squeaks were harder, but a really short volume reduction took care of it most times without hearing a momentary silence. For the other places, automated EQ worked.

For things like this, I used spectral editing & it's amazing, Give it a try.

Thanks a million! That's incredible stuff there.

...Recently, recording a folk guitarist who doesn't use a pick, there were some noticeable bass string 'thuds' and some string squeaks. I used volume automation for some - the thuds, taking them down 5-10dB helped, without getting the 'silence, string squeaks were harder, but a really short volume reduction took care of it most times without hearing a momentary silence. For the other places, automated EQ worked.

I did try some volume automation but I kept getting small dropouts. Zooming in caused the play cursor to move so fast I couldn't pinpoint the exact spot to make a small enough volume cut. I believe moving to the spectral editor is going to help with this in the future.

I got lucky with the one cut/paste edit I did earlier in that the pick slap was obvious in the waveform so I could snip out a narrow section. The inserted section of waveform was small enough not to stand out on playback. However, I had discovered a second pick slap which was not visible in the waveform so I performed the same operation but using a slightly larger section, which is quite noticeable on playback - it duplicates the second guitar's waveform and sticks out as a blurb of mono within two panned guitars. I'm just going to retrack that one - only takes a few minutes.

I find lately that I do a LOT of squeaking when moving up & down Must be my age :(( I used to move silently like a ninja!:D) But it's how I discovered Spectral Editing? :eatpopcorn:

I'm not much of a squeaker, but I'm hell with slapping the pick against the pickguard and edge of the soundhole. I'm adjusting my playing by being more aware of my movements when strumming the first three strings.

I don't play acoustic guitar very much...mostly electric. When I do though...I'm always hitting my pick hand finger tips on the pick guard / body as I strum. I learned to play guitar by holding the pick between my thumb and first finger...but with my pick hand fingers open and not closed. When I try to consciously try to play with my pick hand fingers closed in...I feel like a total beginner and certainly have trouble picking single notes. I only bring this up because this thread reminded me of the many times I've tried to address those fingers "knocks" in my acoustic tracks.

Exactly my style too. Open hand with pick twixt thumb and forefinger.

There's another way? Recording can actually improve your playing style. And in the current COVID environment of Zoom and FB Live playing, I sure have noticed others hitting their acoustic guitar soundhole edges with their picks - a lot! More noticeable, of course, with people using mics instead of plugging in.

...Recording can actually improve your playing style. And in the current COVID environment of Zoom and FB Live playing, I sure have noticed others hitting their acoustic guitar soundhole edges with their picks - a lot! More noticeable, of course, with people using mics instead of plugging in.
It's improving mine. Playing live, I put more emotion into my strumming and just bang away sometimes.
Sounds good live:listeningmusic: Sounds like crap recording :eek:

Yeah, definitely. Turning the gain up on a sensitive mic can get ugly. Last night I actually had an idea to take a patch of flannel or denim and affix it somehow to the pickguard, with a bit tucked into the edge of the soundhole.

Back