What do you think of Reaper?

I said it was intuitive (Cool Edit Pro) because it had all the same shortcuts as any other programs in Windows (not related to recording) like copy and paste (ctrl + C, ctrl + V) the way you select by sliding your mouse while holding down the left button, zooming with the mouse wheel, delete selection etc. etc. etc. All the names in the options made sense to you eventhough you had never recorded anything in your life. You didn't need tutorial to learn it, you just had to do what your think and it would work or would be really easy to find out. Like ampliphy a track or a selection etc. I miss that easiness in Reaper. Now I can do most of what I was able to do with Cool Edit Pro but it took me a while to learn how to use Reaper properly because I had for a very long time the habit of switching back to Cool Edit when I was blocked instead of trying to find out how in Reaper. The way to think when using Reaper is different, you have to think Reaper not Windows hehe which was a bit hard for me to do since I'm a computer technician and I'm use to have all the sames short cuts in most of the programs I use. But once you learn the basic you start to love Reaper and see all the possibilities.

I feel I must interject here as all of those functions you stated work the same in Cubase.

I do agree that any software is a challenge when you are used to something else. Always happens.

If it works for you then by all means use it. :)

Honestly, that whole thing where left-click-drag does not (and can not) do marquee selection like every other goddamn place in the world is the one thing in Reaper that actually pisses me off. It really sucked when my old mouse was kind of flakey on right-clicks. I got so used to using shift-clicking to select multiple items instead that I still do it even now despite the fact that I have a new mouse that works.

I never use Ctrl-c or x or v because the behavior is kind of wonky, but that's been true in other DAWs too and just dragging things around is quicker and more intuitive for me anyway usually.

What a long strange trip digital recording has been...cakewalk in the 80's !:eek: in DOS! I built mt first recording PC in 1995 and used a software called digital orchestrator that came with my $300 AWE 32 soundblaster card...dems was the days P133 with a 17" $600 Mag CRT monitor OH MY!

I lurked here for years vacillating on what my next big investment in recording software would be..I had a friend that had cubase and there just wasn't the kind of support forums there are today back then...Then Reaper came about and Pipeline joined in here and then I started watching over at Cockos and the rest is misery... For sure like fords and chevy's they'll all get you there some faster and easier but in the end it is what you feel comfortable with...

I've always been much more the musician than the engineer and time is scarce for me to do my thing...I'd rather be playing than messing with files and plugins..recording for me is a necessary evil to get my songs down...Reaper works for what I need and if I get confused or lost man there is ton of friends out there that can put me onto what I need to do...As I use it it gets easier and more familiar...but I still prefer playing over recording what I play...

I recently started using Reaper and thus far I like it. I dry record all my instruments on my Zoom R16 and move my SD card to the computer and transfer to Reaper. I have tried some of the effects on the tracks and so far seems ok.

I recently started using Reaper and thus far I like it. I dry record all my instruments on my Zoom R16 and move my SD card to the computer and transfer to Reaper. I have tried some of the effects on the tracks and so far seems ok.

Not for nothing but your R16 is an audio interface AND a control unit as well as a stand alone recorder. Have you tried using it with Reaper? It works very well.

Hi Mickster cool Beatles Icon! One of my favorite bands for sure.
I have only recorded on the R16 and then move my SD card to my computer where I transfer all tracks to Reaper. I surmise I could do everything using the R16 but I do like a bigger visual on the computer screen when using Reaper. How about you?

Honestly, that whole thing where left-click-drag does not (and can not) do marquee selection like every other goddamn place in the world is the one thing in Reaper that actually pisses me off. It really sucked when my old mouse was kind of flakey on right-clicks. I got so used to using shift-clicking to select multiple items instead that I still do it even now despite the fact that I have a new mouse that works.

I never use Ctrl-c or x or v because the behavior is kind of wonky, but that's been true in other DAWs too and just dragging things around is quicker and more intuitive for me anyway usually.

You can totally use left drag for marquee selection in Reaper. I do it all the time. It has the most customizable mouse and keyboard action shortcut system of any DAW.

You can totally use left drag for marquee selection in Reaper. I do it all the time. It has the most customizable mouse and keyboard action shortcut system of any DAW.

REally. Have you tried Samplitude. Every action the software is capable of has customisable mouse or keyboard actions.

It's a free trial, so I'd say to just download it and start using it. Nothing to lose!
_____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
sàn thép grating

Back