Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: What do you think of Reaper?

Thanks

What do you think of Reaper?

Sign in to disable this ad
    I am considering trying out Reaper for a bit. I am currently using Cubase for recording, and I was curious what your opinions of Reaper are as far as features, ease of use, capabilities, quality, software bugs etc. compared to other programs such as Cubase and ProTools.

Thanks
    It's a free trial, so I'd say to just download it and start using it. Nothing to lose!

I find it easier to set up and get a project going than in either Cubase or Pro Tools. Not that I've used PT very much at all, but I did use different versions of Cubase for a few years. Reaper is fully featured, endlessly customizable, and updated frequently to fix bugs and add new features. And a full personal license costs substantially less than Cubase or PT. I think it's a no-brainer for a home studio to use Reaper.

Thanks
    Hard for many on this board to say anything bad about Reaper. Might not be the choice of most, but I have not read anything bad about it. I have it and use it some, but since I money invested in another DAW, I feel compelled to use something else.
    DM60 Tunes: The Collection

Thanks
    Maybe Reaper lacks something that I would get from the DAWs costing five or ten times as much, but if so I'm blissfully ignorant of what that is.

Thanks
    I've used Reaper for years now. Does everything I need to do, recording mostly acoustic stuff. We just produced a CD with it. It is nearly infinitely customizable, and there are loads of resources available free online. Solid performer in my book. For $60 you won't do better.

Thanks
    Reaper gets a lot of love here and for good reason; generous demo mode, intuitive and well supported. Plus, I think people like the fact that it started out as a grass-roots project from one guy.

But, it's not a whole lot cheaper than some other DAWs. As an example, Cubase Elements is $99 while Reaper is $60. I don't know what the differences are between the two, but Cubase started out as a midi editor and it retains a large suite of editing tools.

Thanks
    I'm strongly in the Reaper camp. I started on Logic, and switched to Reaper (around 2009 or 2010) when I was working on a collaborative project with someone who was using Reaper.

I've never looked back.

Thanks
    Awesome! Thanks for the replies. $60 seems hard to beat for a DAW. I am pretty used to the user interface and workflow of Cubase though. Is Reaper's interface pretty intuitive and easy to use? I have downloaded a trial version of it to experiment with.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by DKRecords View Post
    I have downloaded a trial version of it to experiment with.
    The 'trial version' IS the full version. Once you 'experiment' with it you'll learn it.

Once you learn it you won't give it up. So you might as well just pay for it in short order.

I have protools and reaper. I prefer PT, but like reaper well enough to not want to give it up. So i bought it.

Thanks
    The one thing Reaper lacks is the ready-to-rock VSTis that most more expensive DAWs tend to include. If you need MIDI instruments, you have to find them separately. There are plenty of good freeware instruments out there, and you can spend some of the money you saved on paid plugs if you want/need.

Aside from that, the answer is always Reaper by a mile in my book.

Thread Information