Weird Glitch

mcmac74

I'm not entirely sure this is a reaper issue but thought it the best place to start.

I'm working on a song and keep having a recurring fault where the signal on a guitar line in will suddenly become horribly distorted...not loud and smooth, just weird sounds and unusable. I've never had it on any previous songs and using the same gear. Direct line in to input 2 on focusrite solo. It's happened on two different vsts that I've used previously without issue. Sometimes it will be fine for 30 minutes, sometimes only 5. It happens out of the blue and only way to get rid is to restart reaper. I've tried different guitar leads to rule that out but problem persists.

Anyone help out here?

You need to determine whether you can eliminate or include the vsts as a cause. That means doing recording and playing back without either.

When the problem occurs I've removed vsts from the track, however the problem remains until I restart reaper.

Download a new copy of Reaper and reinstall it first. Then experiment, like Gecko says, try recording without a VST. If no glitch occurs, the problem is most likely a processor/RAM issue.

I've now found that the glitch will still occur even without a VST added to the track. The only thing on the track now is a reverb send. I have also removed the send and as yet there is no glitch however I didn't play too long with it in that set up to firmly establish if the reverb bus may be the issue. Is this likely?....The same reverb VST has been used on all my other tracks as a bus without issue.

You will need to play longer to see if that is indeed the issue. The 'send' should not be an issue by itself, just remove or turn off the reverb on the bus track to see.

I've thus far not managed to force the glitch without the send and theres no issue adding the other vsts post recording. It just means the monitored signal whilst recording is dry as a bone which doesn't make for the best performance experience but no idea what else to do...hopefully it won't be a repeat issue ?

Moving on to record vocals on this track, the same glitch struck repeatedly whilst using input one on the focusrite solo. No use of the bus this time so I guess I can rule that out along with a fault on the inputs...but no nearer finding out what's causing this glitch...only happens on this song.

???

Have you uninstalled and downloaded and reinstalled your interface's driver?

I haven't because I have assumed that the driver on the AI are not the issue due to the fact that I don't experience this issue on any other song that I'm working on. Is this a wrong assumption?

If it is only this one song that you are working on, it could be a plug in that you are using. Maybe one that is active while you are recording.

Have you tried recording a vocal with all plugins turned off?

Have you tried rendering your backing at the stage that it is, loading that into a new project, and then tried recording vocals along to that render?

If it is only this one song that you are working on, it could be a plug in that you are using. Maybe one that is active while you are recording.

Have you tried recording a vocal with all plugins turned off?

Have you tried rendering your backing at the stage that it is, loading that into a new project, and then tried recording vocals along to that render?

I'm thinking it may well be a plug in utilized on another track that is causing the issue on playback rather the one I'm recording . Rendering and recording separately is a fair emergency get out if all else fails. ?

Back