Using an External Mixer

shickjeff

Ok, Hope someone can help and that i word this right.

Im really confused. I just purchased the Tascam Model 24 to use as an interface and to mix down on. I have the latest version of Reaper. I setup Reaper and can record tracks thru the Tascam into reaper with no issues. I can also hear the tracks coming down from reaper and can adjust fader volumes etc.. on the tascam with no issues. My issue is. Every recorded track shows up on tracks 1 and 2. so if i record Bass and keyboard on track 3 and 4. I hear them on track 1 and 2 along with whats recorded on 1 and 2. I tried messing with the Master send check Mark and the Parent Channel Check box on each track but i must be doing something wrong.

Thanks for any help

It sounds like you've got the Reaper channel you're recording on set up to record the mix output of the mixer rather than an individual mixer channel. There should be a way to set the input of each Reaper channel to receive signal from a specific mixer channel. It should be in the settings of each individual Reaper channel. Try right clicking on a channel.

I just looked at it (had to start up my old tower). There should be a drop down menu for inputs in each Reaper channel in the track view.

Thing is channel 3 and 4 record and play back only what I recorded on them. Its just channel 1 and 2 that play everything. Like all channels are being routed to them I think it has something to do with the Parent Channel checkbox or master Send Check box on each channel. i tried messing with it. Sounds like a setting somewhere needs to be unchecked or turned off. I went into each channel and set the out to hardware as well. So channel 1's Out to Hardware is set to 1 out 1. 2 is set to 2 out 2. etc.. Like if i record a guitar on Channel 1 using the Tascam as the interface. It works fine. Records into Reaper, and when i play back, it comes back down to channel 1 on the mixer like it should. Its just when i go record the 2nd track and 3rd track they also play on channel 1 and 2.

It may be that the Tascam is set up to record its stereo mix to its interface channels 1 and 2, as for capturing the stereo output during mixdown.

It's a bit confusing when you don't specify Reaper channels or Tascam channels.

It would be worth going to Reaper/Preferences/Audio/Device and having a look at what the output range is set to. to make sure all the possible outputs are there.

The next thing to try is to go to track I/O and set the outputs for each track.

In Reaper your 'master send' box should be checked on every track - you are monitoring the master (stereo) mix, typically. You can monitor separate tracks by configuring the I/O from the Reaper preferences menu - or the Tascam software, if there is any.

Inset all the ins and outside in Reapers preferences. That all is working fine. The Master Send is checked on all the tracks. Like I said in can record tracks and they playback thru the mixer. It's just that every track I record is also playing back on tracks 1 and 2 on the mixer.

It sounds like you've got the master output of Reaper set to the 1-2 input of the Tascam. Try clicking on the Routing button on the master fader in Reaper and deleting the output assignment.

What he says ^^

Click on I/O of master track

That brings up "Outputs for Master Track" dialog box

At the bottom of that dialog box you will see "1/2" and a down arrow. Click on that and select 'none'.

Try that and see what happens.

Inset all the ins and outside in Reapers preferences. That all is working fine. The Master Send is checked on all the tracks. Like I said in can record tracks and they playback thru the mixer. It's just that every track I record is also playing back on tracks 1 and 2 on the mixer.

Well now, we are getting somewhere - the playback on 1 & 2 is on the mixer (your description made it sound like it was in Reaper). Do you want playback to be on the individual channels of the mixer, i.e what's on '3' in Reaper goes to channel 3 on the mixer?

sorry i knew i wasnt explaining this to well . But yes, The playback on 1 & 2 is on the mixer and I want playback to be on the individual channels of the mixer, i.e what's on '3' in Reaper goes to channel 3 on the mixer? I will try looking at the Master I/O and check that output for 1/2

Either you can select it in Tascam software (if there is such), or you need to select the output channels in Reaper.

Back