Thinking about switching to Reaper from AA

mahavishnoodle

Hi.

I've been using AA since, well, it was Cooledit "'96". I am tracking stuff these days that requires MIDI and I have decided that I don't understand/don't want-to-understand how to track MIDI in another program and move it back into AA (I also don't want to go back to AA 3.0 just to get MIDI back). The multiple program workflow just to get MIDI in sounds inefficient and I am convinced it will slow down my ability to make music. Damnit. I can tell it'll be a pain in the ass and I just don't want to do it.

So, I'm thinking about buying Reaper and just diving into it. I bought AAtranslator and exported my AA CC file to an XML (it balked a little on linefeeds or something). I installed the Reaper demo and imported it. It appeared to import but the timing off the tracks is way off. Some tracks were actually cut off at the beginning (!).

Question is- Was my import process flawed or was there an incompatibility?

I am looking for the easiest way to get back to work so if manually importing wav files into Reaper and re-arranging them is in order, then I'd rather do that then hacking with the import process.

Thanks

Not sure what an XML file is - a spreadsheet?

Importing WAV files into Reaper is very easy, just drag and drop. By the way, you didn't download the 'demo' version of Reaper, you have the full-blown version. After a set amount of time, when you boot it up you will get reminders that you should pay and register it.

I import thru reapers media explorer, there's a tempo match button which might help? :thumbs up:

Sorry, I meant converting an XML into RPP and importing.

XML is meta data, so there would be your XML file and then your "media" file types. So, this sound like you are tacking a project that uses XML to import to Reaper and Reaper will convert into a Reaper project file.

I will be honest with you, I've done much with XML import, and it is a good way to exchange data (just data). Good for bulk loading, in your case, not sure if it is the best way to do it. Are you trying to save parameters, automation, etc from one DAW and import into the other? That is what I am thinking.

If this is the case, I have never really done this, nor attempted. What one normally does is exports the tracks out, imports into the target, start from there. If you want to use XML, you will have to dig into the Reaper documentation. I also know enough about XML that, while it is a standard, the definition between the two systems have to have a common data mapping (standard data library exchange format). While I would assume Reaper would follow it, not sure about your source DAW.

If it turns out to be too much hassle, I suggest exporting your tracks out and just bring them into Reaper. Everything should be full length, hard left and they should all align.

Hi.

I've been using AA since, well, it was Cooledit "'96". I am tracking stuff these days that requires MIDI and I have decided that I don't understand/don't want-to-understand how to track MIDI in another program and move it back into AA (I also don't want to go back to AA 3.0 just to get MIDI back). The multiple program workflow just to get MIDI in sounds inefficient and I am convinced it will slow down my ability to make music. Damnit. I can tell it'll be a pain in the ass and I just don't want to do it.

So, I'm thinking about buying Reaper and just diving into it. I bought AAtranslator and exported my AA CC file to an XML (it balked a little on linefeeds or something). I installed demo and imported it. It appeared to import but the timing off the tracks is way off. Some tracks were actually cut off at the beginning (!).

Question is- Was my import process flawed or was there an incompatibility?

I am looking for the easiest way to get back to work so if manually importing wav files into Reaper and re-arranging them is in order, then I'd rather do that then hacking with the import process.

Thanks

Go to the Reaper forum and read the bug reports and if that doesn't discourage you do the free trial and import some of the much needed plugins and watch the fun begin.

Back