Snappers are good.

R

RAMI

I like snappers.

But, my question is.........

I hope I'll be able to explain this. I used to be able to have snapping off, but still be able to place things (like items, the cursor, etc....) and have them snap into places like right at the end or beginning of another item, or exactly at the beginning of a beat,etc....

It's hard to explain. But I can't do it any more and can't figure out how to do it. I don't want snapping on, because that forces items and cursor to always fall right on the grid and I usually don't want that. But I still want to be able to place my cursor close to beat #1 of a bar (for example) and have it fall right on that beat, rather than having to zoom in and adjust until it's right on the beat, or right at the beginning or end of an item.

Did any of that make sense?

Not to me sorry :confused:

No, it's my fault.

I'll try again.

1) I don't want snapping activated.

2) I DO want to be able to place the cursor close to the first beat of a bar and have it fall right on the bar, sort of as if snapping was on. I know that sounds weird, but I also know I was able to do this before. I must have changed something because I can't do it any more.

I now have to zoom in and keep moving the cursor until it sits right on the beat. Before, I didn't have to do this. I was able to place the cursor "close enough" to the first beat of a bar and it would automatically snap to that grid line, even though snapping was off.

The reason I don't want snapping on is because it makes everything fall on a grid line, which I usually don't want, except for the what I described above.

I have a feeling this is one of these "You have to be right beside me so I can show you what I mean" problems.

Never mind. I figured it out. Snapping actually has to be on, not off. But there's more to it than that, which I'm not going to try and explain.

Never mind. I figured it out. Snapping actually has to be on, not off. But there's more to it than that, which I'm not going to try and explain.

For lack of a better word, isn't to the granularity of the grid? The finer it (1/64) is verses the courser it is (1/1) something like that?

I keep snapping on during regular use, but when it's time for subtle stuff, drum program editing, or aligning tracks by wave form (or copying/pasting loops), turn it off.

Yeah, I figured it out. I was wrong, like I said, Snapping has to be on, not off.

I have it at 1/4. Now, I can do what I wanted to do. I can place anything anywhere and it will fall anywhere I want it to. But I have the added bonus of being able to place the cursor "close enough" to a beat and have it fall right on that beat without having to zoom in and keep moving the cursor until it sits right on the beat. Same thing when I move an item and I want it touching another item. I can get it to snap so that it sits touching the other item without overlapping it. It's kind of weird, because I thought that having Snapping on and having it at 1/4, everything would snap to the nearest quarter note. But it doesn't do that unless I get really close to that quarter note, which is a good thing.

I feel as though I'm speaking my own language here because this is all really hard to explain. Anyway, what I want to have working is working.

So did you adjust the sensitivity of snapping then or something? So the distance something has to be from a snap point before it snaps is lower?

I'm not sure what I did to get it to work. I tried taking a screenshot of my Snapping Options (I think that's what it's called) pop-up, but wasn't able to.

Anyway, I have snapping at 1/4, which is what I'm having trouble understanding. It's not forcing me to snap everything on the 1/4. But it is allowing me to put the cursor close to the beginning of a beat and have it snap to it. So that's a good thing.

Back