Skins

DaleVO

Poor Farm Productions
Isn't it just. I've been using it since the first release and it runs as good as it looks. Just awesome.

Mr. Clean, et. al. with theme experience:

With DAW-envy, I saw a screenshot of Mr. Clean's [assuming it's the Imperial theme by White Tie] Reaper v4.55 skin layout, in another thread. The theme does look nice!

My questions are: will the Imperial theme work on ver3.75? Or, was the skin developed for a later version? What critique(s) can you share with using the theme on the earlier v3.xx [if it was operable]?
I will go dig through the Cockos forum, but want some feedback from those of you who may have used it on earlier versions.

I have used version 3.75 since I purchased it a few years ago, and it has been rock-solid stable for everything that I ask it to do. Being pragmatic, it has met my needs for VO editing. However, it could stand a coat of paint IF it will continue to perform with the same stability.

Thanks in advance.
Dale

And while you're discussing this... I saw that comment too and went theme shopping on the Reaper site, but how do you actually install the damn things... I assume I have to put them somewhere specific in amongst the Reaper files... probably I should examine the file structure and it'll be bleedingly obvious, but I'm lazy... :confused:

If you click on OPTIONS>show reaper resource path>colour themes, that is where they go,
but a lot say open reaper & drag &drop the theme in the track panel, I tried it ONCE & it didn't work, so I always put them in the themes folder!
@ Dale VO I don't think it matters what version you have the theme is only the skin,although if changes(updates) have been made that are included in the imperial theme that are not in your version ???, why not update to 4.57 anyway there's millions of things better!,
I did look the other day myself coz I got a new monitor & I couldn't find imperial!!,
If you do find it,& your monitor isn't the right size, you'll have to install the cut down version, (called dead ringer!)the options are on the page!! :)
you'd be golden then!

EDIT: There's plenty more in the stash! http://stash.reaper.fm/

Last edited:
The Imperial theme can be found here. White Tie : Imperial - REAPER theme for large monitors

Ideally you need a screen resolution in height of 1080px or more otherwise the mixer page gets cut down. I was really lucky with this theme as I had 2 1280x1024 monitors. I have no idea if it'll work with ver3.75 though. It says on the website it requires ver4.25 or newer. I really don't know the ins and out of the theme. I have been using it for a long time, since around ver4.00 when the theme was in beta and a lot of it was screwy, text all over the place, buttons not working, etc. It's very stable now though. I don't have any issues at all..

I'd say try it, if it does/doesn't work, then you know.

As for installing themes, most, if not all now come as a .reapertheme file. Just double click it when you've downloaded it. It should load right up for you. If not click options>>>Themes and select the one you want. Then in Options>>>Layouts you can edit your themes with some included mods. Bigger Master track, coloured faders, etc. You can also do these things in the default reaper skin.

Hope that helps :thumbs up:

Example:

this.JPG

Last edited:
Thank you all for the feedback.

I have the dual monitor reso. requirements met. However, I am afraid that the v4.0+ platform may be my obstacle, and that I am also running XP Pro SP3. I may just test it to see if it will run. Aside from the the whole eye-candy layout, what caught my eye most was the meters. :thumbs up:

I have the dual monitor reso. requirements met. However, I am afraid that the v4.0+ platform may be my obstacle, and that I am also running XP Pro SP3. I may just test it to see if it will run. Aside from the the whole eye-candy layout, what caught my eye most was the meters. :thumbs up:

I would upgrade to the latest version if I were you and keep it updated, there's always bugs fixed and new bits added to reaper almost monthly. You wont have a problem with XP Pro SP3 as I have the same. No problems at all here.

:thumbs up:

That's just such a cool looking theme. I saw you post an image of it a while back and I keep forgetting to go check it out for myself. I've been using the default Reaper theme since the beginning but now I want to spruce it up a bit.

How is it on system resources? My computer already struggles once I start piling on the tracks and VST plugins/instruments. Not sure if it would be able to handle additional strain from a fancy skin.

That's just such a cool looking theme. I saw you post an image of it a while back and I keep forgetting to go check it out for myself. I've been using the default Reaper theme since the beginning but now I want to spruce it up a bit.

How is it on system resources? My computer already struggles once I start piling on the tracks and VST plugins/instruments. Not sure if it would be able to handle additional strain from a fancy skin.

I don't think the different themes use any more resources than the default, but if you've got the screen give it it a go & see what happens?,,, I put it on mine today, & I was lost, ended up putting solaris back on I'm used to it & the two are not dissimilar?
(very sexy!!) :facepalm: :D

That's just such a cool looking theme.....How is it on system resources? My computer already struggles once I start piling on the tracks and VST plugins/instruments. Not sure if it would be able to handle additional strain from a fancy skin.

It's fine on my P4 2.8gHz XP Pro with 4Gb RAM.

I don't think the different themes use any more resources than the default, but if you've got the screen give it it a go & see what happens?,,, I put it on mine today, & I was lost, ended up putting solaris back on I'm used to it & the two are not dissimilar?
(very sexy!!) :facepalm: :D

Yeah I don't think a different skin makes much difference. Maybe a little bit but nothing that should grind a PC to a halt.

That Solaris is a nice looking skin. There are some really nice one out there. Talented people. I wouldn't know where to start.

Cool, thanks! It'll be after turkey day until I get to sit in front of the studio computer and give it a whirl. Between the holidays, remodeling the house and these damned video games, I can't get anything else done.

The other night I was in my mates house showing him what I'd done with one of our songs, he's uses Reaper default as default & I didn't know where I was
I didn't realise how many changes I've made to my copy untill I used his, I kept saying "where is that now?", so I'm gonna put my config on my stick & slip it in next time, I won't look like an old lost fool then (bullshit baffles brains!!) :D :facepalm:

I downloaded that White Tie skin... got it displaying and it just all seemed way to dark for me... I figured I'd stop playing with skins and get back to music and maybe when I've finished this project, start worrying upgrading my Reaper look...

I tried out the Imperial skin. It sure looks purdy, but I didn't know where anything was, so I switched back to the default.

I'm new to Reaper, and very tempted to indulge in making it all pretty, but having converted for other reasons, what I really like is that my projects load in seconds rather than minutes, and my sound card latency is now down to 4ms rather than 6, and my clunky old system has suddenly become stable and responsive. All I have done to the appearance is turn on "tint track panel backgrounds" in the preferences.

Skins in Reaper make little to no difference at all to program performance, load times, latency, etc. I run mine on a crappy old P4 2.6gHz with 4Gb RAM. Between the skin I use and the default skin, there is zero difference.

Try one and you'll see for yourself. :thumbs up:

Will do Mr. Clean :) At the moment I'm having to refer to the manual a fair bit, and I notice people like jiff41 saying skins can change things quite radically. Are there any good skins that leave the default layout so I won't be confused by tutorials or the manual?

And on kind of the same subject, is there a way to get a visual view of the routing on any particular track? I am enjoying the freedom of the internal routing and it would be good to have a nice quick visual of where all the channels are going within a track.

Hi Tobe & Welcome
What you need is the routing matrix, click on VIEW in the top menu & scroll down to routing matrix,& it's explained in the manual,
very informative!!

the important thing in reaper is right click on everything & you'll see loads of options, & in the manual click on EDIT & scroll down to FIND & you can search the manual for whatever?

try out different themes,it won't harm, there's a couple already in there, in OPTIONS>THEMES
enjoy :thumbs up:

Thanks Jiff,

I am also hoping there was some way of looking at an overview of all the channels in a track. So if I use a band splitter to make 4 pairs (or 8 channels) in a track I would like to see the plug-in chain for the channels without having to look at the individual connectors of each plug-in, to quickly check my connections are right, if that makes sense.

Edit: I suppose I could just send each channel to it's own track.

Last edited:
Back