Sending Reaper file to someone without DAW

BoatyMcBoatface

Hello, I'm just wondering if its possible to send someone a multi-track reaper file over gmail (could this be done by making it an mp3? Or is there a better way?). They are not collaborating, its just a friend who wants to hear one of my tracks, and they do not have any DAWs. Thanks!

Yup.
Choose File/Render, then choose the output format you want. Wav is default, and mp3 is an option you might need to install.

Okay sweet thank you! Do you know off hand if Wav files can be sent via email and do they just automatically work for the person receiving like an mp3 would??

MP3 is smaller and "safer" for that kind of distribution. Who knows what the file size limits might be on either of the mail servers involved? Not to mention the upload/download times. Plus very often an MP3 will just stream whereas wavs usually need to be downloaded first.

I could be mistaken, but I'm pretty sure the liscensing situation with the LAME encoder changed drastically last year so that it now comes with Reaper and there's no need to hunt down and install codecs to render mp3s anymore.

If your email has a small attachment allowance have a look into 'Dropbox' free A/C or 'We Transfer' or even 'Facebook' :eek: & MP3 is included in Reaper now in the render option? :)

I could be mistaken, but I'm pretty sure the liscensing situation with the LAME encoder changed drastically last year so that it now comes with Reaper and there's no need to hunt down and install codecs to render mp3s anymore.

Yeah, the last important patents expired. Some DAWs (such as audacity) are playing it safe and still not shipping with LAME, but I think Reaper might have added it.

But to the OPs question, your best bet is to export the mix as an mp3 and email it to 'em. Wav files are about 10 times the size so harder to email.

Back