Send Effects and Reaper

mattkw80

I bought a Lexicon MX200 Reverb unit - thinking, Great, less for my CPU to do.

However, it's not going to be too useful in Reaper it seems, unless I print all the reverb before I RENDER.

Say I buss my drums out to the Lexicon, and return them back on another track. No problem, I've got Send / Return Reverb.

However, when I RENDER, Reaper does not play those tracks out to the unit, so nor does it receive it back - so my RENDER comes out with no Reverb on it.

Pipeline, any idea why that might be ?

Did I explain this well enough ?

They hype it as kind of a VST / Hardware hybrid, but it's BS.

The only thing you can do with the VST is control the settings.

So in Reaper you have to have 3 extra damn tracks just to use it...

1. Lexicon Send

2. Lexicon Return

3. Lexicon Control (this is where you place the vst) *Non-audio track

So then you would bus your drums, or whatever to "Lexicon Send".

But if you have to Print the reverb anyway, owning this hardware is pointless. I can get great sounding reverb in plug-in format, for FREE.

I thought this thing was going to act like a UAD-1 card, and take some load off, and actually run like a VST - but it don't. It's very much a rack mount piece of hardware, and you have to have the proper physical bussing to get in and out of it. Luckily, it does have digital in and out, and I'm not using that on my board, so that's working for me. But like I said, I can't render in real time, so when I RENDER, Reaper doesn't go out and talk to this thing.

I don't completely understand the 'routing' of it yet, but it's not going to serve my purpose.

It's got 2 engines.... okay great, but if your working in stereo, you must use both engines on the same 2 stereo tracks.

Here's a link anyway .....

http://www.lexiconpro.com/ProductIndex.aspx?ProductID=12

could probably make a track, stick reainsert on it and send and recieve to the unit...then chose record\output and print it that way

Yeah - Know how to print it (thanks to you, in a different thread)

It's just that - if I HAVE TO print to have it on the final mix, than I might as well print all my reverbs - and suddenly there is absolutely no advantage to having outboard reverb anymore.

I can use free software plugs, and print that way.

Is NON-Real Time Rendering the new style ?

I am use to being able to screw with the mix DURING final mix down, but REAPER, Pro-Tools, and Adobe Auditon all do not allow that during mixdown.

you can hit control alt b and record the output of reaper (or stream it over shoutcast) if you want to do it old school and play with it during mixdown

Running an extra printed fx track should be less intensive on your DAW then processing a track live so you at least save some CPU cycles that way. Most people use outboard gear because they want the sound of that unit. If your plugins sound better then just print tracks from those fx.

If this is a big issue you are probably using too many reverb instances. With bussing and fx groups I rarely have to use more then 2 or 3 types.

What do you guys mean by "Print" here and there? Ive been using reaper for a year... havent "printed anything.... is that a tech term?

Back