Replacing drum tracks

Atkron205

First I apologize if this is a stupid question. I have researched on the Reaper forums and still am not clear on if this can be done. I am looking for a plugin I can use to replace drum tracks that have been recorded using live drums. For instance, I have a kick track that sounds like crap and I want to replace it with a sample. From what I have read this can be done just not sure what is a good program that will work well with Reaper. Superior Drummer 2 is one I have been looking at. Thanks!:facepalm:

Damn i think my last reply didn't got posted. You can do this using ReaGate. Here are the overall steps starting only with your recorded kick track:
1. Create a new track and load ReaGate
2. Create a send from your kick track to the new track
3. Set the gate's treshold so that you can hear only the hits, it doesnt matter if they get chopped or don't sound good, so don't get caught with hold/release settings.
4. Check "Send MIDI open/close note" and write "C2" which if i recall correctly is usually the note for kick drums in most software, including Superior drums.
5. Set ReaGate's output mix to 100% wet and 0% dry so you dont hear the original track.
6. Load Superior drumer in Reagate's track
7. All set

After you're done tweaking your samples and all that, i recommend rendering the track and erasing manually the hits the gate may have triggered "by mistake".

Good Luck!! Let me know if you need something explained in more detail. I love this ReaGate feature!

Best IMO is Steven Slate Trigger. Even the cheap EX version is worthy. I have the full library now and use it constantly. I pretty much don't even care to take the time to get a kick drum tone from mic alone anymore. So much quicker for clients for me to pull up one that sounds perfect, and they can record with that sound in real time. Then change later if needed. The same for toms and snare also, but I typically only use them as enhancement later. Not while recording.

Remember, you can't really 'replace' a drum in a recording of a 'real' drum kit. Almost possible with kick drum, but everything else will be recorded via overheads. The key is to match the sound of each piece with a similar sample and use it to enhance what is already there. The samples in SS Trigger are the best I have heard.

Sucks that you need an iLOK to use it tho. :(

Best IMO is Steven Slate Trigger. Even the cheap EX version is worthy. I have the full library now and use it constantly. I pretty much don't even care to take the time to get a kick drum tone from mic alone anymore. So much quicker for clients for me to pull up one that sounds perfect, and they can record with that sound in real time. Then change later if needed. The same for toms and snare also, but I typically only use them as enhancement later. Not while recording.

Remember, you can't really 'replace' a drum in a recording of a 'real' drum kit. Almost possible with kick drum, but everything else will be recorded via overheads. The key is to match the sound of each piece with a similar sample and use it to enhance what is already there. The samples in SS Trigger are the best I have heard.

Sucks that you need an iLOK to use it tho. :(

I looked at that one also. it looks really cool. good point on the overheads. Thanks for the advice dood! :D

Back