rendering versus other options?

GreenDank

is it me, or does rendering a premaster mixdown (in reaper) sound worse than when the song is playing before rendering? shouldn't it sound pretty much the same? it seems like that's where I lose a lot of my sound quality. Does anyone record their mix to another computer (or other device) and use that as the premaster rather than rendering? Is there anything else I should be considering to improve the rendering process?

What are your settings when you render it? I dont have any issues like that when i render my mixes from Reaper.

Nicole

Try using 16bit and see wat happens. I was having issues with rendering when i had it set to 24bit but when i changed it to 16bit I havent had ne issues since then. That might work or it might be something else causing the problem. Im no expert on Reaper cause i just really started using it for recording/mixing. Hope that helps or atleast get you two steps closer to a solution.

Nicole

what are you recording at in project settings?

If there is a resampling going on there will be some change in the sound. Of course we also have elastique now, so that could be played with :)

what are you recording at in project settings?

If there is a resampling going on there will be some change in the sound. Of course we also have elastique now, so that could be played with :)

I just use whatever defaults are in there....is there a particular item I should be looking for in the options--->preferences area?

file --> project settings--->audio settings tab

Make sure you have it set at 44.1 if you are going to CD, otherwise you will will have to change from 48, 96 what have you down to 44.1 and you loose info when doing so. And for rendering I use the 512pt sinc...and no I don't know what that does vs 192pt sinc.

summing

Does anyone record their mix to another computer (or other device) and use that as the premaster rather than rendering?

well,
if you did choose to sum your mix in that manner, you wouldn't need another computer. You would just send the mix right back into your interface. Send left into channel one, and right into channel two, and record one stereo track.

But I'm sure you will get your problem solved and wont need to do this. These guys here are pretty knowledgeable, and know Reaper like the back of there hand.

---mike---:D

or hit control alt b which will allow you to record reaper's output in realtime.

If you are not using any outboard gear though, let me save you the trouble. Reaper's offline bounce and Reaper's realtime bounce null completely

We gotta get to the bottom of your trouble, hit f2 on an audio item, compare that sample rate and file format to the one listed in project properties and also the render settings

neat

or hit control alt b which will allow you to record reaper's output in realtime.

wow, Thats really awsome!!

question for GreenDank.
When you render your mix, what program are you using to listening to it?
The reason I'm asking is:
once i rendered a mix that sounded pretty good to me, when i went to play the wav file that i rendered i opened it up in windows media and it sounded kinda low. Come to find out the volume fader on WM was not set loud enough. Also there is an eq in most audio player that can effect the sound.

this may not be the problem, but at least we can eliminate one possibility :D

---mike---

In order to get my tracks to open in WMP or Real Player, I had to render in 16 bit. Wouldn't play back at 24, or 32 bit for some reason.?

I know you can playback 24 bit files with WMP, but I forget what you have to do...get some codec or something.

Back