Rendering Issues...

ShanPeyton

Something weird is happening when i am rendering to Mp3. I will try and see if does the same thing with a .wav file but...

I have mixed the song and watched intently for the song and where it peaks and finally got it to a place where it never peaks or goes into the angry red zone, BUT! when i render it seems to spike and peak at least 5 or 6 times??? :wtf:

Anyone else ever experience this ?? Frustrating. Especially after i spent an entire afternoon dedicated to watching for the peaks on one song!

I guess while we are on the topic, is there anything in reaper that can kind of look through a song while i mix it and let me know when something peaks? Sort of like word suggestion in microsoft word or something? ???

Rendering to a .wav does the same thing.

It only appears to be peaking on the left side, Must be something in my guitar perhaps.

But only during the rendering. So effin weird.

O.k, It is the louderizer plugin on my master bus. It is pushing something really hard during the render but not during playback. Interesting.

Ok i still do not know what is going on here? I have pretty much troubleshot it down to a limiting thing. I have tried two different limiters on it and they produce the same spikes in the same spots during rendering but not during plain old play back.

I guess i get rid of the limiters all together. But then it just sounds less full sounding. Which i am not really stoked on.

I wish i knew what the hell was happening during the rendering process that is causing this? It doesn't happen when i am just playing the final mix through reaper so why is it clipping when i try to output a wav or MP3. This doesn't make any sense what so ever :( . I will have to dig a little deeper into how reaper is rendering this down. Still a mystery for now.

Is this your mixed stereo recording or are you rendering your mix? The Limiter on the master track should only be done when you are mastering the final mix. At least that's what I've come to understand! :)

I am actually trying that as we type... I am going to try it in a separate project and see what happens.

All i currently have on the master bus is a compressor and a limiter. I will render the entire mix down with only the compressor and then open the rendered wav in a separate project and see what the produces. Glad to see our thought processes are the same in this issue thus far.

Is this your mixed stereo recording or are you rendering your mix? The Limiter on the master track should only be done when you are mastering the final mix. At least that's what I've come to understand! :)

CRAP, Imust spread rep around before repping you. Sorry man.

Yeah, people do recommend limiting as part of a separate mastering project, but I have slapped a limiter on the master channel for a quick mix of a single song. What works for me is to make sure the master gain is at 0.00dB, because whatever you set your brickwall at (for example -.1 dB) will be relative to your master gain... so if your master gain is at +3 dB for instance, your project could possibly peak out at +2.9 dB... don't know if this is related to your problem, or if I'm even "doing it right", but I don't have peaking problems.

I am actually trying that as we type... I am going to try it in a separate project and see what happens.

All i currently have on the master bus is a compressor and a limiter. I will render the entire mix down with only the compressor and then open the rendered wav in a separate project and see what the produces. Glad to see our thought processes are the same in this issue thus far.

Unless you are tyring to do a quick 'first mix' like fat fleet mentions, take the compressor and limiter off. You can add either/both in the mastering process. You can certainly use them to get an idea what your mix will belike when mastered, but then disable them before rendering.

One thing I learned with Reaper is that if you use some plugins that process signals at one sample rate/bit depth, and you render your project at a different sample rate/bit depth, it can do weird things to the rendering's volume. I had a reverb that I was using on a few tracks in a project, and any time I rendered, those tracks' volume would be really different than it was while mixing. When I switched my project to render in 96 kHz/24 bit (the same as my project sample rate), the volume issues went away.

It might be worth trying different rendering sample rates, bit depths, and even rendering speeds to see if this is affecting your project.

It took me my entire day off but i figured it out. It was actually a mix of the limiter on the master bus and really really shoddy compression and weird transients on the acoustic guitar tracks. So after some tweaking and editing i got it smoothed out nicely and it was worth it it sounds way better.

I also did the compression and limiting in a separate project file. Great advice right there. Well i left a little glue compression on the actual final mix, but yea, i did the limiting and other stuff in am altogether separate project.

Crapness.... I still need to spread rep MJB. Sorry dude.

One thing I learned with Reaper is that if you use some plugins that process signals at one sample rate/bit depth, and you render your project at a different sample rate/bit depth, it can do weird things to the rendering's volume. I had a reverb that I was using on a few tracks in a project, and any time I rendered, those tracks' volume would be really different than it was while mixing. When I switched my project to render in 96 kHz/24 bit (the same as my project sample rate), the volume issues went away.

It might be worth trying different rendering sample rates, bit depths, and even rendering speeds to see if this is affecting your project.

Hmmmm... I looked at this yesterday but knowing nothing about all that i didn't change anything.

I've never noticed that - I render mixes to 16 bit all the time to burn CDs for listening checks and to convert to MP3 to post online.

I've never noticed that - I render mixes to 16 bit all the time to burn CDs for listening checks and to convert to MP3 to post online.

I was using some impulse files in ReaVerb and I couldn't figure out why certain tracks were coming out much quieter in the mixdown. I googled around and found a post in the cockos forums about this same problem. I think it was because the impulse files were a different sample rate than my mixdown. I can't remember exactly, but I can check the details next time I'm in front of my studio computer. It was very frustrating until I tried a higher sample rate render.

I was using some impulse files in ReaVerb and I couldn't figure out why certain tracks were coming out much quieter in the mixdown. I googled around and found a post in the cockos forums about this same problem. I think it was because the impulse files were a different sample rate than my mixdown. I can't remember exactly, but I can check the details next time I'm in front of my studio computer. It was very frustrating until I tried a higher sample rate render.

Impulse files you say?? Interesting. I am going to have look into this. This song i was working on was the first one i had ever used an impulse file in.

Plot thickens... I should check this out.

Back