ReaVerb question

ShanPeyton

Hey guys. I have been void of this forum for a good long time. I suck at internetting. Is that a bad thing? So ,y question in this.

I have EZdrummer. It sounds fake. I have been mussing with reverbs on it and some high and lopass filters and it sort of makes them less fake. I have the reverbs and compression and eq's all set up on one track, which i assume is like a buss? And that seems to work pretty good. Now, is there any way i can control how much of each signal i can send to the reverb? Like if i want less kick than the snare or virtually no kick. Is this possible?

Also I would also like to know how to use the reverb and the original "dry" tracks in the mix too? I can't seem to find the right buttons to push to achieve this. For instance i have my kick drum sent to the reverb track and also have it sent to the master track. In doing this though it just kind of sounds like shit. And If i try to turn the dry track down it just disappears?

This is my conundrum :confused: I am sure there is some reaper magic awaiting me. I just need some expert advice to point me in the right direction. Thanks.

If you set EZD to individual tracks you can then send as much or little of each track to wherever you wish.
It can get messy with EZD outputting to a single track and using the mixer in the vst.

I always set a drum bus and have all my drum tracks with a send to it with the master send turned off. Then when you get a good drum mix you only need to move one fader to mix the drums with the rest of the instruments. I also use a bus solely for reverb, with the effect set 100% wet, that I can send any track to and control the amount of reverb. Sometimes I use more 2 different reverbs on 2 bus's.

I hope that makes sense. :thumbs up:

Don't 'mix' the drums in the EZD mixer, set separate tracks as Mr Clean says. If you don't know how to do this, you can get pre-made templates over on the cockos.com user forums
Mute the 'room' mic in EZD.
I'll usually send the group output to a reverb bus set up only for the drums, using separate reverb buses for vocals and instruments, but then I will also send the s0anre separately to the buss to have more reverb on it than the rest of the kit. As the EZD samples have already been compressed and EQed, I have never found the need to do anything else to them

As has already been said, splitting the drums into separate tracks is probably your best first step.

From what you're describing, you might want two drum busses in the end: one with verb and one without. When you're routing the individual tracks into the two busses, you can set the levels to determine how much signal from each drum gets reverb.

Don't 'mix' the drums in the EZD mixer, set separate tracks as Mr Clean says. If you don't know how to do this, you can get pre-made templates over on the cockos.com user forums
Mute the 'room' mic in EZD.
I'll usually send the group output to a reverb bus set up only for the drums, using separate reverb buses for vocals and instruments, but then I will also send the s0anre separately to the buss to have more reverb on it than the rest of the kit. As the EZD samples have already been compressed and EQed, I have never found the need to do anything else to them

The forums are actually at REAPER | Audio Production Without Limits

not sure where cockos.com will take ya

You don't even need a template. Just go to insert<Insert virtual instrument on new track
then ok it to build the multi outputs.

Then make a new track and call it something like "drum verb". Put your reverb of choice on it and make it 100% wet (if you dont have a good verb try Ambience.. its free, google it)

Then click the I/O of this track and add receives from your snare, toms and whatever else you want this verb on. You can mix the relative amount with the receive sliders. then you can raise or lower the overall amount with the track gain slider.

Last edited:
The forums are actually at REAPER | Audio Production Without Limits

not sure where cockos.com will take ya

Oops, that's where the Reaper forums used to be housed. Maybe they still are, I haven't gone there in ages.
Once you set up your multi-output configuration save it as a tempate (or new project), then you don't have to repeat the whole process next time. If you use differnet drum sets (4 mic classic, Nashville, etc), set up a template/project for each one. Saves time when you're starting a new song.

Back