Reaper & the Yamaha MX61; compatibility and full utilization of the MX61 features...

foxwaves

Reaper & the Yamaha MX61; compatibility and full utilization of the MX61 features...

Hello,

I recently bought a Yamaha MX61 Synth keyboard. After several hours of tinkering (downloading the Yamaha driver, changing Reaper settings and so on), I am finally able to record audio from my keyboard. I'm using ReaSynthDr with the setting all the way down as my vst that the Yamaha plays through. Hmmm, poorly worded, but maybe understandable. This allows me to play and record, for instance, a piano voice as audio. If I try to record as midi, I haven't learned how to keep the voice I recorded, as it changes when I change the voice on the Yamaha.

My good friend, DM60 has provided a lot of very useful and helpful information already, and I'm still digging into this subject.

The Yamaha MX61 has a lot of features that would probably be nice IF I used Cubase or one of the other DAWs they are associated with...but I like Reaper. I really don't mind not being able to use the Yamaha keyboard as a DAW remote controller, since i have it set up right next to my pc keyboard/mouse anyway. BUT, I would like to be able to have the Yamaha voices listed in Reaper for easy selection and to be able to record midi. I read something about some sort of method using a program and banks, but it was over my head.

I would appreciate any info and instruction any kind gurus here might be willing to provide. If I need to relay more details, just let me know. The Yamaha has both midi in/outs and usb...I'm currently using the usb.

It's difficult to be brief and relay enough information...sorry! Thanks in advance for your time and suggestions!

Back