Reaper Won't See Some Of My Vsts/VSTIs; Checked Paths, Uninstalled/Reinstalled; ???

foxwaves

Hello,

Recently I opened Reaper and as a song was about to load, I got an error message about certain effects not available. I checked my FX browser and was disturbed to note a LOT of plugs were missing.

I've tried the little I know to do, such as clear cache/rescan, check paths, uninstall/reinstall and so on. I finally did get some plugs back but am still missing dozens. The VSTs/VSTIs and their .dll files show up in my VST folders that hold others that Reaper does see.

I've tinkered with it so long the past weeks (when life permitted) that I am lost in the maze now. I'm over my head. I know some uninstalls weren't complete and I have a lot of duplicate artifacts in my files.

My machine seems fine, Dell Win8.1. I opened each song file I have on Reaper and many of them displayed the "effect unavailable" error message while loading. I made a list of over 20 different plugs missing from those, and I'm sure there are many, many more no longer in my browser.

Besides that, every time I open Reaper, it scans Waves files. Why? I've tried putting files in different folders, but and really out of my comfort zone as far as computers go. More like The Twilight Zone for me, haha.

Anyone here willing to give a vintage guy some assistance?

Thank You!

So were you able to get rid of all the duplicate copies of each .dll/.vst file? If reaper finds multiple copies of files with the same name in its scan path, the behavior can be unpredictible, and bad .dlls can override good ones.

I noticed when I installed v 5.99, it rescanned all my VSTs. That surprised me, as I've never noticed that happen before. I haven't looked to see if all my VSTs were there, but the few that I had in the project I was loading showed up (MT Powerdrummer and the standard RE and JS plugins.)

No, unfortunately I didn't get rid of everything. I suppose the plugs that have their own uninstall function were good, but I'm sure others have artifacts left. It's hard to get rid of everything sometimes. I'll take your suggestion and try to weed out the dupes. Hmmm, often, though, I'm not sure what was a part of the plug. It has really discouraged me!

Thanks for your help!

I hope you didn't lose any! It's a headache! One helpful person mentioned something about ini files...but I get over my head quickly in this stuff. Good luck!

Back