Reaper won't render

Guitarfreak585

I downloaded the LAME encoder and everything, but it won't render to mp3 format. It renders to WAV file just fine, but the file size is massive. Any thoughts? I've used Reaper before and didn't have this problem.

Yup, you can always render out to a 16bit/44.1khz file (cd quality) and then mp3 it from any other tool (iTunes, Windows media, etc.)

Lame can be a bit of a bugger to install as it always seems to want to be in various places to work right depending on which particular os version you have.
Try the reaper app folder, the Windows system folder, the win32/system32 folder.
you may have to put copies in several places until it works. wont hurt anything.

As jiff pointed out the newest version of Reaper needs the very latest lame version.

(oh and don't forget to unzip the file! You'd be surprised how many people forget to do that when installing vst's and other stuff...)

I seem to recall having problems making it find the LAME encoder... it didn't end up where it was supposed to go, because that didn't work... but can't remember the details. I'll have a look tonight if I remember...

I think most of the replies I saw as to where it goes was in the user plugins folder? that's where mine is, & the first time I tried to render to MP3 I got a notice saying it wasn't installed & would I like reaper to "do it for me" & I hit yes "make it so!" & bang it was done, & only after did I look to see where it was put, or what version it was! :D

I have 4.42 and Lame is in the Reaper Media folder.
4.52 is popping up but Im hesitant to change my setup.

I have 4.42 and Lame is in the Reaper Media folder.
4.52 is popping up but Im hesitant to change my setup.

your set-up won't change if you accept the update, the only thing that changes is the capability of the reap' :guitar:

Back