Reaper wont load vst

mcmac74

Hi

Reaper wont show certain vsts in the same file path as others of the same type...I've downloaded them all in 64 bit and it has the same icon as some other applications (picture of a disc/drive/ monitor. It's called Ace and is a tube amp sim from VST 4 FREE -
Free Audio Plug-ins Archives

Originally from shattered Glass Audio

Any pointers much appreciated!

Mark

You might go into Preferences - Plugins - VST and do a ClearCache/Rescan. That should put any VSTs that if finds into your list.

Make sure that Reaper is looking for the folder i which the VST is located.

With luck you will have a folder somewhere called "VST plugins" or similar into which you have put the VST .dll files, or into which you've unpacked zipped VSTs.

It doesn't matter if they are in a different folder. You thne just have to got to the VST options and tell Reaper to add that folder.

However, not all VSTs are created equal, specially free ones. And sometimes they just won't play nice no matter what you do.

I just pulled down the ACE VST and installed it into Reaper. It came in perfectly. I did put it in the Reaper Plugins folder. By default it wanted to go to CommonFiles/Plugins. I pulled up Reaper, added the subdirectory, and hit rescan and it was there. There shouldn't be any reason why it won't load into Reaper.

Attachments

• ACE1.jpg
    ACE1.jpg
    12.4 KB · Views: 32
  • ACE2.jpg
    ACE2.jpg
    79.5 KB · Views: 4
Thanks for all the suggestions...

I am using the 64 bit version of reaper.

The file path is the same as other vsts I've stored.

Possible cause?...I note that most of the vst I've loaded are dll files whereas this one shows as an application...there is a vst called NA crunk from nebrini audio which is the same file type and this loads fine so I'm not sure.

Regards Mark

I just pulled down the ACE VST and installed it into Reaper. It came in perfectly. I did put it in the Reaper Plugins folder. By default it wanted to go to CommonFiles/Plugins. I pulled up Reaper, added the subdirectory, and hit rescan and it was there. There shouldn't be any reason why it won't load into Reaper.

You should only have Reaper plugs in that folder, A separate folder should be made somewhere usually called 'Steinberg or VST' & this folder should be included in the search box in prefs for Reaper to scan?

Thanks for all the suggestions...

I am using the 64 bit version of reaper.

The file path is the same as other vsts I've stored.

Possible cause?...I note that most of the vst I've loaded are dll files whereas this one shows as an application...there is a vst called NA crunk from nebrini audio which is the same file type and this loads fine so I'm not sure.

Regards Mark
BINGO!!!!!
Apparently you didn't run the EXE file. That is a self-extracting archive that contains the DLL file. The actual plugin is ACE.DLL, not the ACE.EXE file. Just click on the ACE.EXE file from WinExplorer and it will run, asking you where to put the DLL file.

BINGO!!!!!
Apparently you didn't run the EXE file. That is a self-extracting archive that contains the DLL file. The actual plugin is ACE.DLL, not the ACE.EXE file. Just click on the ACE.EXE file from WinExplorer and it will run, asking you where to put the DLL file.

I have tried to run the application but it just duplicates itself..there appears to be no file to extract...strange I know. I've had no such issues with any other vst!

Do you have your view set so that you can see the extensions? Since Microsoft started saving us from ourselves by hiding the file extensions by default, its sometimes hard to tell the difference between types. The download should be ACE.EXE and is 1698KB. The extracted file should be ACE.DLL is 4760KB.

BINGO!!!!!

I shall have another look and try to unravel this mystery! ?

I had a similar problem appear with Reaper a few weeks ago. I logged onto Reaper and a s the song was about to load Reaper displayed a message saying that various VSTs were missing, etc.. Then I went to the FX browser and was dismayed to see almost all my VSTs/VSTIs missing. After a lot of try "this/try that", I copied & pasted the path of my VST folder onto Reaper and rescanned. Probably hundreds of plugins started coming back. Reaper crashed several times during the process but I kept on until it scanned no more.

I thought the problem was solved, then started to load a song and got the error message again. There are still a lot of plugs that Reaper isn't seeing. They are in the same VST folder as the others that reappeared. There are .dll files, and some are plugs I used regularly. I uninstalled some and reinstalled, but still nothing. I know uninstalling can be iffy about getting rid of everything.

I'm at a loss right now as what to do. This problem seemed to arise right after a recent update...the one before the most recent. Otherwise, the only thing I had done was go through all my plugs and put the hashtag symbol in front of the ones that were no good to hide them.

As with the OP, I'm stumped. There are probably folks here who could fix it in a flash, but I'm an old guy with limited computer skills. Anyone want to take remote access? Good luck to the OP!

Back