Reaper and SMPTE incoming sync

witzendoz

I have just been reading the manual and it seems that Reaper can chase SMPTE code. I am looking to replace my old Atari 1040 (no laughing) midi machine with some other software, and I realised that reaper can do midi well, I also need to chase SMPTE as I have the whole studio locked to SMPTE. I was going to purchase a MOTU unit for SMPTE to MTC but it seems that Reaper can read SMPTE from an audio input so saving me money, has anyone every done this and is it easy?

Alan.

Is your SMPTE source VITC or LTC? I doubt Reaper can read VITC through an audio input.

It’s smpte code like the film industry uses, apparently LTC is another term for smpte, according to the reaper manual. When you select reaper to read or generate smpte a box comes up with a selection of input out put for code?

So it seems that it may read through an audio input. If smpte is set through an audio input it sounds like tone, it’s not the same as mtc
Alan

VITC is embedded in a video signal. LTC is an audio pulse signal. If your source is a video signal it might need to be translated from VITC to LTC to go into an audio input.

The source is a hard disc recorder which is also a SMPTE generator, it locks all gear in the studio to timecode, my automated console, and my midi synchroniser (old atari 1040 with unitor attachment). I want to take the Atari out of the system and use Reaper as the Midi software. Reaper will have to chase the Hard disc recorder so that the MIDI is locked to the audio. I have been using SMPTE for over 35 years, we used to stripe a track on the 16 track reel to reel and have everything locked to that. I was looking at getting a MOTU micro express that reads SMPTE and converts to MTC, but if Reaper reads via an audio input I wont need to get one. Page 427 of the Reaper Manual.

View attachment ReaperUserGuide503.pdf

From the REAPER Wiki:

Reaper for Post Production - CockosWiki

Chasing Incoming Timecode
Most of the information you need on Reaper capabilities are spelled out from section 21.6 Syncing to an external device onwards in the Reaper manual. It includes syncing Reaper to external MTC , LTC , SPP(Song Position Pointer) and ASIO positioning protocol.

Sending Timecode
Sending MTC can happen in three ways.

First, you can set up a MIDI port to send MTC in the Preferences page Midi Devices, which is further detailed on the same section of the manual as mentioned above.

Second you can place a SMPTE LTC/MTC Timecode Generator item in the timeline. This command can be found in the Insert menu. You can configure the item, which can be trimmed out as far as one wants, by accessing the source properties of the item, accessible in the context menu of item or via the default shortcut CTRL+F2(Windows).

Third, you can use the JS plugin vVIMTC (virtual Vertical Interleave MIDI Timecode Generator) which you can pick up in this thread. vVIMTC: Timecode when stopped or paused - Cockos Incorporated Forums

That JS plugin will send a highly configurable MTC timecode out even when your transport is stopped, making it rather handy for external video players.

Seems it can do it. I suspect the Wiki isn't up-to-date as REAPER does video too, these days. That should be even better, probably.

You could track all of your sessions with Reaper, both midi and vocal!
Sure, Reaper can chase, but seems like you might want a dedicated
h/w sequencer for your studio. If you want to dedicate a computer
and interface, surely Reaper will work. :thumbs up:

Reaper will sync and chase SMTPE. I have had it chase its MTC variant.

I don't want to track audio in particular as I run a hybrid studio, most mixing is don't with an automated console and analog outboard, which is why I use a dedicated 24 track hard disk recorder which has replaced the analog tape, mainly due to tape costs. Raper can do this job but I would need to have an interface with 24 analog outs. This may happen in the future.
By the way I do occasionally mix in the box if the project comes in as files or it's the type of project that would benefit from in the box mixing.

What I am wanting to de is replace the midi setup in the studio and when I noticed that it seems Reaper can chase smpte via an audio input I become interested as it would be an easy change over.

Of course once Reaper is chasing smpte there is no reason it could not be used to add audio tracks if needed.

Alan.

I've used it before to rip audio from an old Roland VS standalone recorder into Reaper as wav files. It worked fine.

Back