Reaper Newb : question about "Audio System" drop down list

slexson

Reaper 1.jpgReaper 2.jpg

OK guys, Picture 1 displays Audio System "WDM Kernal Streaming." This is the ONLY way that I can get all four of my XLR mics to transfer sound independently on 4 separate tracks (which ultimately was a goal of mine for 2 years which I've finally had success with tonight.) Yes how pathetic. The only way I got it to work is by manually typing in "4" for the inputs channels, an option that didn't exist under ASIO or any other option.

Anyways, Picture 2 shows all of the other POSSIBLE audio system options. Now let me stop and say that all I ever hear from every website is use ASIO ASIO ASIO...... Well when I put it on ASIO, I can only get sound out of channels 1 & 2 on my TASCAM US-600 to display any sound on the sound bar. Not good, not helpful.

On other DAW programs, I've actually seen "TASCAM US-600" Listed as an option in this category. Well that sounds like a tantalizing option, but for some reason, under Reaper it doesn't appear to exist... So recap: so far we eliminated ASIO, and Tascam (which doesn't exist.) and WDM Kernal Streaming is the only one that gives me 4 channel recording control. Weird

*** So HERE is my question... Could someone better explain to me the what I'm getting with each of these sound options? I'm completely baffled by each of them. These ARE sound card options correct? I was under the impression that when I got my Tascam interface, that would override my computer's standard sound card and be the preferred sound card to utilize when hooked up for recording purposes. I'm confused then why, my device doesn't even show up under this drop down list, while "ASIO," and now our newest buddy "WDM Kernal Streaming" are the only ones available? I would appreciate it if someone could explain what exactly these all are and their individual purposes. I know this Kernal guy is the only one that lets me multitrack record (which is why I will keep using it). I have no idea why considering every piece of information I've read in the past says do ASIO for multitrack recording when it isn't helping me do that here. Soooo confused about this area of DAW software.

Thanks,
Marc

Hello again Marc,

You must either have an issue with the Tascam drivers on your OS or PC, or you do not have the right driver installed for your PC or OS. It should absolutely be listed as an audio device, and should be the 'ONLY' driver/selection you will want to use. FYI, don't even look into ASIO4All unless there are no drivers available for your interface. The other sound devices or ASIO (other than the US600) are going to be basically useless to you. Ignore them. Focus on why you have not the US600 driver listed. The US600 drivers should work best. I have a suspicious feeling that your PC/OS is messing with you somehow. Looks like W7 you have. Start>Control Panel>Sound. Is the US600 listed? Select it as your default sound device for both input and output. If you have correctly installed the right driver from the Tascam website, it will be there. If you have, and it still does not work, completely remove previous installations of the drivers, and start over. Something is not right here, but know that it is something wrong in the setup, not the interface itself. The fact that you can't see the driver listed, is proving that.

Hey Jimmy's, just completely uninstalled and reinstalled all drivers from the Tascam Disc and updated Tascam website drivers...

Went to control panel and this is what my sound settings display for "Playback" and "Recording"... (Bascially nothing appears to be changed since I reloaded all drivers yet.)
Reaper 3.jpg

I then go into Reaper and still, US-600 is not an available driver under the dropdown list for audio device options. Only the ones previously listed.

Anything else I could try?

Did you install the drivers before you plugged in the interface via USB? If not, Windows will try and install drivers and it can mess things up. If you did this the first time you tried to install, uninstalling and reinstalling the Tascam drivers from the CD might not fix it.

If you think this might be the problem, you could try uninstalling all the drivers relating to your Tascam device (or even all sound drivers) and starting again with it not plugged in (or going for a reinstall of Windows if it gets a bit tricky).

(Note, I don't use a Tascam interface, but I'm guessing the same issue might arise as with mine.)

Rather than doing a Windows re-install, you might try for a system restore to a date before you set up the Tascam, then try reinstalling the tascam. As jonny deeep notes, you often have to install drivers before plugging in the interface.

Rather than doing a Windows re-install, you might try for a system restore to a date before you set up the Tascam, then try reinstalling the tascam. As jonny deeep notes, you often have to install drivers before plugging in the interface.

That's a better plan!

Back