reaper mystery...

CoolCat

im wondering what happens when I record a song using reaper....as in files.

im confused a bit.

when I create a track, repaer seems to save some rpp file, but theres also a peak file, and im not even sure where it saves it all.
do I need to know?

usually I just select the "most recent" and select which one I want.

I dont have trouble with the render stuff, I know where it goes and its always wav or mp3 for me...into a music folder. I get that part.

but the tracking and rpp and peak files and all that jazz that seems to be saved in repaer media? or reaper something somwehre?

How many files does it save when reaper is in default? is there a default storage-file name?

Whenever you start a new project you should create a new folder (song name) for it and save to that folder, that way all your track files (the rpp and peaks) will be in that folder. File management is much easier that way as the track files are not named per the labels you give them in the project.

im wondering what happens when I record a song using reaper....as in files.

im confused a bit.

when I create a track, repaer seems to save some rpp file, but theres also a peak file, and im not even sure where it saves it all.
do I need to know?

usually I just select the "most recent" and select which one I want.

I dont have trouble with the render stuff, I know where it goes and its always wav or mp3 for me...into a music folder. I get that part.

but the tracking and rpp and peak files and all that jazz that seems to be saved in repaer media? or reaper something somwehre?

How many files does it save when reaper is in default? is there a default storage-file name?

MIDI is stored inside the .rpp file, which you can view with a text editor.

i think reaper by default puts files in /reapermedia folder until you "save project as" just search your pc for that folder, might be lucky

You should be able to click the file and then press ctrl-F2 and it will tell you where the file is located.
It will save them in the main Reaper directory. This can become a mess very quickly. Personally I have the automatic prompt to save new project enabled (Options/Preferences/Project/Prompt to Save on New Project). Then when I click a new project I get the prompt and create a new folder and the project so I always know where everything is. Also under Options/Preferences/General I leave the default path blank. You could create a new folder here to house things temporarily if you choose.

more answers to your questions at cockos forum
Cockos Incorporated Forums - Powered by vBulletin

newbieland - Cockos Incorporated Forums

REAPER Q&A, Tips, Tricks and Howto - Cockos Incorporated Forums

Thanks,

Ctrl F2 sounds interesting.

Seems my default original was C drive and Reaper Media inside the Program Files...but I moved it or something to a Music folder a long time ago.

Does it matter if the Reaper MEdia has been moved and renamed? Yikes....it could get messy. Ive had on occasion the Reaper cant find the tracks and will search/browe for them or the plugins are moved or something.

I take fault because I might have deleted something or moved it or renamed something. Which this is why I ask Id like to learn what exactly Im doing, improve my IQ on Reaper.

Creating a Folder for each tune sounds good.;;and Save As.

I think at times Id created a FOlder like 2018 or 2019, and sometimes there would be raw tracks and Rendered things in the same folder.

I assume its bad to move things around and this would cause Reaper to not be able to find it?

Thanks,

Ctrl F2 sounds interesting.

Seems my default original was C drive and Reaper Media inside the Program Files...but I moved it or something to a Music folder a long time ago.

Does it matter if the Reaper MEdia has been moved and renamed? Yikes....it could get messy. Ive had on occasion the Reaper cant find the tracks and will search/browe for them or the plugins are moved or something.

I take fault because I might have deleted something or moved it or renamed something. Which this is why I ask Id like to learn what exactly Im doing, improve my IQ on Reaper.

Creating a Folder for each tune sounds good.;;and Save As.

I think at times Id created a FOlder like 2018 or 2019, and sometimes there would be raw tracks and Rendered things in the same folder.

I assume its bad to move things around and this would cause Reaper to not be able to find it?

I would not move things.

Name a folder before you start. Make sure you aim the files to go there.

You should be able to do a search to find any file. Worst case if windoze cant find it then a free ap can do it.

The three file types are WAV files, peak files and the project files.

As the others have said, all the files for a song get saved in a default Reaper directory, unless you explicitly create a sub-directory for the project (which is the best way of doing things).

However, if you do have a mess, there is a way of unmessing it.

Load up the project, then do a 'save as' and tick 'create subdirectory' and 'move all files to the directory'. This will gather up all the files you've used for the song and get them out of the Reaper default and into the one the project will create for you.

Everyone else seems to have covered the high points.

You also asked about peak files; they just contain the image of the waveform that you see in your tracks.
If you delete them, when you next open the DAW, you'll see it process for a bit while it redraws them; then the files will be back.

wow...I didn't know peak files were the tracks. I have deleted those before.

all the info was helpful. Ive used Reaper a long while but was apparently just in the dark a bit.

great stuff....I think I'll be doing some "organization time" with save as

wow...I didn't know peak files were the tracks. I have deleted those before.

They're not the actual tracks. They're track metadata, and if they go missing, Reaper will just recreate them. It's how Reaper knows how to portray them graphically. In Reaper they are .reapeaks files. In Logic they were .ovm files.

Back