Reaper and Linux

As I was downloading my latest update, I noticed at the bottom of the download page was one for Linus.. Experimental Builds.

Has this been there for awhile? I don't recall seeing it when I updated last time.

Not long, they used to be in the 'Pre Release Discussion' thread but more & more peeps are giving it a go so it was time to give it it's own thread!

I had AV linux & Windows as dual boot for a while & really enjoyed the experience but while doing an update one day STUPID Me forgot which drive was which & erased all my projects so I'm waiting till I'm a little wiser??:cursing: & then I'm going back!,,Windows really grinds me down but a LOT of plug-ins are made just for Windows or Mac but the Linux guys are already making steady progress on it + a LOT of other things even Justin is on it!
It's worth keeping an eye on it? ;)

BTW; AV linux can be downloaded & used from a USB stick just like Reaper so you could give it a go with NO ill effects?

AV Linux – bandshed.net

The last I looked, the biggest issue with Linux was interface support. Do search on what interfaces are supported/will work. If your interface will work with the OS, then it will be worth a try.

The last I looked, the biggest issue with Linux was interface support. Do search on what interfaces are supported/will work. If your interface will work with the OS, then it will be worth a try.

Thanks for the tip. I scooted over to Linux and found this compatibility page - Some good coverage. Hardware support [Linux-Sound]

I see the ever popular Focusrites are there, along with mine.. Tascam US-2x2 (lumped in with the 4x4).

Thanks for the tip. I scooted over to Linux and found this compatibility page - Some good coverage. Hardware support [Linux-Sound]

I see the ever popular Focusrites are there, along with mine.. Tascam US-2x2 (lumped in with the 4x4).

My understanding of interface support comes from how the manufacturer implemented the USB standard. If they did it 100%, then it will work. But most have changed it in some way to improve performance and that I think is why many use a special ASIO interface under Windows and to bypass Windows OS overhead for increased performance.

Back