reaper free?

tojo

i need to get this straight, is reaper free? or is it shareware that just doesn't expire/ is uncrippled. so is there anything legally wrong with using past the expiration date. i'm all up for doing music compeltely legally because thats how it should be done.

any help please?

or any other suggestions for a good daw thats free. i really would like to use ardour but i don't have linux on my computer.

thanks

Just pay the 50 bucks for it.........
It is one of the best deals you will ever find.

I have been trying it out for a few weeks and love it. On payday I am going to own it legally.

It is not free. It is unexpiring, uncrippling shareware. So, just a nag screen that pops up I think once every reboot or so, not every time you start the program.

I used mine well past the expiration date before I bought it. I think it takes awhile before you know whether or not it's the right one.

But for $40-$50 it's definitely a no-brainer. I was just extremely broke at the time.

aye aye good folk, your newest resident newb is here once again to help keep ya'll active during my learning process into becomming the Bob Katz of the hood.....

whats so special about this Reaper shit, should i abandon my Adobe Auditions 2 for it, should i wait til Holloween and buy it while wearing a Grim Reaper outfit and probably get it for free......

not trying to be so generically general, but just curious to the advantages of this vs. AA-2 if there are any.....

aye aye good folk, your newest resident newb is here once again to help keep ya'll active during my learning process into becomming the Bob Katz of the hood.....

whats so special about this Reaper shit, should i abandon my Adobe Auditions 2 for it, should i wait til Holloween and buy it while wearing a Grim Reaper outfit and probably get it for free......

not trying to be so generically general, but just curious to the advantages of this vs. AA-2 if there are any.....

There are a bunch. Most basic being extensive MIDI and VSTi support. Very lightweight and easy on CPU/RAM. Just as many, if not more, features than most of the really, really expensive software. Updated constantly and has it's own forum with a lot of really helpful people if you have problems. Has never crashed on me either.

There are a bunch. Most basic being extensive MIDI and VSTi support. Very lightweight and easy on CPU/RAM. Just as many, if not more, features than most of the really, really expensive software. Updated constantly and has it's own forum with a lot of really helpful people if you have problems. Has never crashed on me either.
hmmm, so basically "less-filling, tastes great" (pardon the beer commercial slogan)

well as stated as i once stated this prior, i only record vocals, so MIDI is like a non-factor in my quest for knowledge, but i definitely wouldn't knock the option for it.........

is the actual on-screen workstation simillar to CEP/AA or is it on some next level Elm St. type stuff.....

hmmm, so basically "less-filling, tastes great" (pardon the beer commercial slogan)

well as stated as i once stated this prior, i only record vocals, so MIDI is like a non-factor in my quest for knowledge, but i definitely wouldn't knock the option for it.........

is the actual on-screen workstation simillar to CEP/AA or is it on some next level Elm St. type stuff.....

It took me a little while to get used to. But, really, it's very simple once you do. I still think AA has the easiest-to-use interface ever, but Reaper is easy also.

To get started, you can press CTRL+T to add a track. A track can be anything...MIDI, audio, an FX buss, etc. Then arm the track for recording and hit the record button on the transport bar.

If you decide to try it out, here's a quick way to get started:

1. On the track's volume meter, you can click it to select which input on your sound card you want to record from.

2. The little icon to the left of that meter is for input monitoring. Clicking it twice will allow you to monitor what you hear as you record with any effects you have on there also.

3. The little "FX" button in the track will open up the FX window. To add a plugin folder, so you can use VST and other plugins, go to Options -> Preferences -> VST and select the folder where all your plugins are located.

Hopefully, if you try it out, that will be enough to at least get started. After that, it's just a matter of getting used to the menus. Just right-click stuff and look around. ;)

You dont get rid of AA if you use reaper, you put AA in the right click menu as an external editor so you can always use it for what its best at, being a 2 track editor and scientific analysis/modification tool

I've been using it exclusively for the last couple weeks and for about a month all together.
While my stuff may not be very impressive, this software is !

If you need multitracking software, I wouldn't hesitate to at least try it.

Frankly, for my needs (basic multitracking/mixing) I like it better than my Cakewalk.

It took me a little while to get used to. But, really, it's very simple once you do. I still think AA has the easiest-to-use interface ever, but Reaper is easy also.

To get started, you can press CTRL+T to add a track. A track can be anything...MIDI, audio, an FX buss, etc. Then arm the track for recording and hit the record button on the transport bar.

If you decide to try it out, here's a quick way to get started:

1. On the track's volume meter, you can click it to select which input on your sound card you want to record from.

2. The little icon to the left of that meter is for input monitoring. Clicking it twice will allow you to monitor what you hear as you record with any effects you have on there also.

3. The little "FX" button in the track will open up the FX window. To add a plugin folder, so you can use VST and other plugins, go to Options -> Preferences -> VST and select the folder where all your plugins are located.

Hopefully, if you try it out, that will be enough to at least get started. After that, it's just a matter of getting used to the menus. Just right-click stuff and look around. ;)
hey.....doesn't sound like rocket science to me at all, the hardest shit i despise using is still Acid Pro, so i'm sure Reaper wouldn't be too difficult to tackle.....i'll give it a look when i get home....actually the steps you described seem similliar to what i see one of my buddies doing when he records us with that damn Magix Studio whateva edition......

You dont get rid of AA if you use reaper, you put AA in the right click menu as an external editor so you can always use it for what its best at, being a 2 track editor and scientific analysis/modification tool
cool but with the integration would it be better to record using Reaper or AA, or it doesn't matter cause shit stinks regardless of the point of exit........

I have CEP 2 and N-track. I switched to Reaper because it has so much less CPU usage. CEP and N-Track bog my computer down with 8 plus tracks, while Reaper is running strong with plenty of CPU usage to spare with 16 tracks so far.

It's also the easiest piece of software I've ever used. I've never read the manual. I've asked pipeline a couple of questions and that's it. So easy to just click around and find what you're looking for.

To the guy curious about switching it with AA-2...ive used aa, and reaper..and as much as i love AA-s interface...reaper is really really nice. Just as long as you have some decent plugins...luckily i have a ton haha. I use both...and i gave Acid a try, but didnt like it all that much.

Reaper was (initially at least) very similar to Vegas, and still bears some similarities. When I used Vegas, though, it had no MIDI implementation at all. Sonar was my in-between choice because it was so much easier to use than Cubase, but now I am trying to throw myself into Reaper.

Just do it - and just get on and buy it too!!

To the guy curious about switching it with AA-2...ive used aa, and reaper..and as much as i love AA-s interface...reaper is really really nice. Just as long as you have some decent plugins...luckily i have a ton haha. I use both...and i gave Acid a try, but didnt like it all that much.

Reaper has a shitload of great plug-ins.

I love it man. Never had any issues with it. I use Audacity as an External Editor with it and all is great. Doesnt eat up alot of CPU power either. At the end of the month im going to dish out the funds and buy it. But u dont have to buy it to use it continuously. But i recommend u do to help the people behind it along with to help allow more updates/features or w/e.

Nicole

I really like all of the features Reaper has but it looks as if it will be a slow transition from Kristal to Reaper because Reaper is a bit more complex than kristal and I also want to get a much more compatable interface so I can use reaper to its full potental.
but from what I have seen so far it is without a doubt the best deal out there for DAW software.

Back