Reaper downloading and compatibility questions

~DieselFanatic~

Hello, I'm thinking about putting Reaper software on my PC. I have a relatively slow dial-up connection to my PC, can it be downloaded to a portable laptop and then put on my PC?

Also, will Reaper work in conjunction with a Digitech pedal (in sig) as my input device?

Thanks

Most software can be downloaded on one machine and installed on another, as the installation file is just that... a file, that can be put wherever you like... I don't believe Reaper's any different.

How is your pedal going to talk to Reaper? Normally you use an audio interface in between sound sources and the PC, and Reaper recognises the audio interface (once you've installed the driver). I don't know much about your pedal but a quick google tells me it has a USB connection, and the blurb on its web page says it allows you to record direct, so I'd assume you'd be OK. You might need to install a driver for Reaper to actually go "this is the Digitech pedal" rather than "this is a sound source"... hard to say. Read your manual, but can't see that it wouldn't work for you. Enjoy.

If you read the manual you can even set up Reaper to run in a 'portable install' directly onto a usb stick so you can record on any computer directly from the usb stick.

Yes. $11/mo lol :D. I don't use the internet enough to justify high dollar speed internet, though I'll probably upgrade to DSL in the future.
Most cable TV companies, and maybe your DSL provider, offer a budget 'reduced-bandwidth' Internet package. I was in the same boat as you quite a while back with the $11/month dial-up, and wasn't about to pay $60/month for my cable TV standard Internet package. They offered a 256k bandwidth package for something like $22/month. You might want to check and see if something like that is available in your area.

Reaper has a very small footprint compared to other programs, which shows some really smart programming. Bloatware it isn't!

Been coding software or working around it for over 20 years. 60-80+% of code is User Interface. Reaper keeps it pretty plain, but functional, so they have struck a good balance. They (Reaper guys) keep graphics down to a minimum, simple, nothing fancy. I think this is how they can focus on functionality and less cosmetics and keep the code so efficient.

Reaper also doesn't include a lot of bloatware like vsti's or "le" versions of plugins that you'll probably not use anyway.
That's not a bad thing, the included plugins are bland looking but very good quality.

Back