Reaper crashing when loading effects on a track

dastrick

huh???
Ok. I'm a Cubase user, but I saw a friend of mine using Reaper and downloaded the latest version.

The problem is that when I hit the effects button on a track I get an error message and Reaper shuts down. It starts trying to load my VST's but then crashes.

I uninstalled it, then reinstalled it and I get the same thing.

I'm running XP Pro 32.

Any ideas?

Thanks,
D

I saw someone else posting a similar problem and it had to do with the FX being used. When they disabled the FX on the track it stopped happening.

Are you trying to use Cubase effects? They may be Cubase-only.

(helps if you give more info when posting a problem....)

It might be trying to use Cubase effects. I have all of my vst's in a vst folder, but I haven't specified to Reaper which folder contains the vst's. But, it does look like it's scanning whenever I press the fx button on a track. Does Reaper scan the HDD for effects?

I'll check it this afternoon when I get home to see exactly what the error message says...although I'm pretty sure it doesn't say anything. Reaper just shuts down then I get the option to send an error report to Microsoft.

Reaper does scan the HDD for effects, but I think it only scans in specific folders set in the preferences.

If you have a VST folder in which all your vsts are placed, you could try copying it, then deleting all the VSTs.
Make sure Reaper is still looking just at the one folder.
Then add the VSTs one by one, running Reaper each time.
It seems to me there could be one or more VSTs that for one reason or another Reaper is unhappy with.
Adding them one by one will help you find any that are problematic.

I found the option in Reaper to set the VST folder, but I didn't set it. Well, actually I did set it the first time, but after I uninstalled Reaper and reinstalled it I haven't specified the vst folder.

I do remember when Reaper scanned the folder that there were some VST's that it said were not compatible. I'll set the folder to a blank folder then add the VST a couple at a time.

Out of interest, my Reaper crashes each and every time I try to hit the "cowbell" / Cymbal 4 GUI trigger from Addictive Drums. I can program it from the MIDI interface but whenever I click the actual thing in the Addictive GUI, which is activated from the FX button on the track, it dies...

Sounds similar.

That's the "No more 'more cowbell!' jokes" feature. If it doesn't trust you to use your cowbell responsibly, it crashes before you start quoting Christopher Walken. :D

That's the "No more 'more cowbell!' jokes" feature. If it doesn't trust you to use your cowbell responsibly, it crashes before you start quoting Christopher Walken. :D

How do I make my Reaper trust me? Perhaps the later version has an upgraded trust module... didn't see it in the release notes. :confused::laughings:

Here's the error message. This happens when I press the FX button on any track. The progress bar makes it about half way then I get the Windows "Please tell Microsoft about this problem" message.

reaper error 1.jpgreaper error 2.jpg

Thanks,
D

Well, that means it's probably a buffer overflow.

Something that you could do that would help the Cockos developers is send over these screenshots with explicit instructions as to what you did. And along with that, crash it again, but click the "Click here" to see what the report to microsoft would contain and send a screenshot of that too.

Did you try deleting all your VSTs and adding them back one at a time until it crashes again yet?

Well I think I got it. I unchecked the "Enable DX plugins" and presto.......

reaper 3.jpg

Thanks for all of your help. I really appreciate it.

Back