Reaper 4 Is Out

KenHR

Haven't seen anything about this here, so:

Version 4.0 Changelog
Like the legs of a giraffe

•MIDI editing:
◦Set user-definable scales and chords in the MIDI editor for drawing and editing notes
◦Using mouse modifiers, copy/duplicate/paste actions can create pooled (ghosted) in-project MIDI source data
◦Editing any pooled MIDI media item affects all media items that share the same pooled data
◦Un-pool shared MIDI by gluing the media item or via MIDI source properties dialog
◦New MIDI Contents menu for switching MIDI editor between different MIDI media items in the project
◦MIDI filter improvements when displaying multiple media items in the same editor
◦Many new mouse modifier behaviors to paint notes and chords, edit arpeggios, etc

•Mouse modifier customization:
◦Customize mouse behavior when using keyboard modifiers in 40 different contexts
◦In many contexts, mouse click and mouse drag can be customized separately
◦Assign different behaviors to the mouse when over the top or bottom half of a media item
◦Assign any action (including custom actions) to mouse click or double-click in most contexts
◦Existing/legacy mouse preferences are preserved, but user changes to mousemap settings will override
◦Actions to reassign default mouse action for any context

•Theme layout support:
◦Fully themeable UI, allowing repositioning/removal/addition of UI elements
◦Per-track TCP/MCP layout support
◦Screensets support saving/restoring layouts
◦Old themes use default layouts available in Plugins/default_layouts.txt
◦New themes can define their own layouts
◦Layouts can be switched via menu, screensets/layouts dialog, or customizable actions

•Media Explorer:
◦Select a portion of a media file to insert into a project
◦Optionally loop and/or stretch the selected portion to fit the destination area and tempo
◦Scroll and zoom the media peaks preview
◦Control+alt drag the time selection to render a new cropped file to REAPER, the desktop, or a folder
◦Control+alt drag the time selection to sampler plugins or other applications that support drag/drop

•Project Bay:
◦Manage, preview, search, replace project source media, media items, and FX
◦Manage media item groups and take comps for the project
◦Save/load project bay contents to create working sets of source media/FX for different purposes
◦Store sets of edited media items (including fades, stretch, pitch shift, etc) to use in any project
◦Media and FX+preset combinations can be stored, inserted, and switched in the project

•ReaSurround:
◦Multi-channel surround panner with support for any number of input channels and speakers
◦Freely position input sources and speakers in 3D space
◦Configurable per-channel diffusion (treat input source audio as a shaped area rather than a point)
◦Drag track IO button to ReaSurround to add new input sources

•Take lanes and comping:
◦Take lanes remain aligned by recording pass, creating empty lanes as needed (optional)
◦Each recording pass gets its own take lane, even when recording overlaps existing items
◦Recording no longer splits existing media items into different numbers of take lanes
◦Save/load named comps (sets of takes from multiple media items)
◦A/B or cycle through saved comps to audition/compare

•Dockers and toolbars:
◦Multiple dockers, freely dockable in main window or floatable (up to 16 separate dockers/toolbars)
◦Drag tabs from a docker to rearrange tabs, create a new docker in another location, or float windows
◦Create, customize, and freely dock or float toolbars for different uses

•Envelope editing:
◦Support for copying envelope points with the mouse
◦Groups of selected points act like contiguous items when moving or copying
◦Shift+control+drag on envelope segment (customizable) edits the envelope level within the time selection

•Media Item Properties:
◦Item/Take Properties dialog stays open while you work elsewhere, follows changes in selected items
◦Pitch adjust and playrate fields accept values (such as "1.004") or simple operations (such as "x2")

•Multichannel support:
◦Allow choosing greater than 2 channels of sequential inputs, monitoring inputs
◦Multichannel track meters
◦Freely route any number of track channels to other tracks, hardware outputs

•Render and batch-convert:
◦Support for rendering project tracks and time regions to separate folders and files
◦Customizable wildcards provide great flexibility in naming batches of rendered/converted files
◦Save render presets for workflow efficiency

•Time selection:
◦Default copy/cut/glue actions respect time selection if there is one (including leading/trailing space)
◦Using mouse modifiers, copy/move behaviors can respect time selection if there is one
◦Editing behavior can be customized separately for media items, envelope points, MIDI editing

•Track input FX chains:
◦FX in the input FX chain only run when record armed, and only affect the signal coming in
◦use MIDI or audio input, and can be set to output MIDI or audio independent of the input format

•Track pan improvements:
◦Track stereo width controls and envelopes
◦Configurable track pan modes: balance, stereo pan (L/R + width), dual pan, and classic (3.x) balance

•Pitch shift envelopes: Each take has its own pitch shift envelope, including customized range and snap settings

•Transient detection and dynamic split: separate threshold and sensitivity settings, and other options

•Video: performance improvements, support for sequencing still images

•Volume faders: new default hardware-emulation fader taper

Last edited:
...and here's the changelog for v4.01:

- MIDI editor: fixed crash when undoing all the way back to when the media item was created
- MIDI editor: action to select all muted notes
- MIDI editor: added actions to select all CC in time selection, in all visible lanes, or all lanes
- OSX: fixed audio devices with trailing spaces in their names being reset on startup
- Project bay: fixed import menu checkmarks, button labels
- Project bay: fixed autoretained item saving with project
- Toolbar arrange: fixed potential infinite loop
- Virtual MIDI keyboard: properly update keys on theme change
- VST/AU/ReWire bridging: better support for resuming from sleep
- Windows: installer improvements relating to path setting on x64, installer size, and portable installs

(p.s. 4.02 is already on its way! :eek: These guys never sleep!)

The only thing I don't like about the new version is they took away the option to right click on a track and select "Show in track window" or "Show in mixer". Those options aren't there now. You have to go to the Track Manager and click on the tracks, etc.....Just a little thing. Other than that, I still love REAPER.

I'm working on going through all of those new things for the sites videos.

I'd post the link here but I'm too new I guess.. But its about Multi-Dockers and Screen Sets in Reaper.

If anyone goes to my site it would be cool to link it here so people can find it.

For someone who is still on the learning curve for Version 3, is it worth it to upgrade? I wouldn't use any of the new features at this point.

For someone who is still on the learning curve for Version 3, is it worth it to upgrade? I wouldn't use any of the new features at this point.

Yes it is. If you are still learning version 3, go straight to version 4 and learn that. Evolve with the times, you know?

Theyll work. You can also have 3 and 4 running on the same computer. Be sure to get the newest version of sws extensions though

You can also have 3 and 4 running on the same computer.

That's cool. It'll be nice to audition the new version without worrying about mission-critical features breaking.

I like the looks of the individual media item "pitch envelopes." If that does what I think it does, it'll be really useful for a project I'm working on right now!

The only thing I don't like about the new version is they took away the option to right click on a track and select "Show in track window" or "Show in mixer". Those options aren't there now. You have to go to the Track Manager and click on the tracks, etc.....Just a little thing. Other than that, I still love REAPER.

Ask them to put it back. They likely will.

I haven't bought a license yet. I'm waiting until I get the US-428 working smoothly with it. They would've had my $40 ages ago if they had written the driver when everyone was begging them to.

But....my fucking license doesn't transfer through the upgrade. :mad:

I may be getting a similar problem. It's asking for a license file, but all I have from when I bought it is a license key.

I'll look into it and see if I can find the solution.

I may be getting a similar problem. It's asking for a license file, but all I have from when I bought it is a license key.

I'll look into it and see if I can find the solution.
I already found the solution. My license was from 2 upgrades ago. It only transfers through one version upgrade. I had to buy a new license, albeit at a discounted price.

Back