ReaFir for boosting?

mark skinner

I have a stereo track of a finished song from a lost project that needs the vocals brought up. I've used eq and compression and gotten them sitting pretty well in the mix but made my tele a little louder than I wan't it to be. I was wondering if I could re sing a section , run it thru reaFir and build an audio profile like how you do for noise removal in subtract mode. But instead of subtracting it , use it to boost just the eq from the profile . Is this even possible ? Thanks ... mark

It may be possible to do something by setting the ratio of the ReaFIR compressor to less than one which has the effect of expanding everything above the threshold upwards. I don't think you can build a profile for the expansion (but I'm writing from memory so I could be wrong) but you can play with the frequency envelope to find the best threshold and the best frequency range.

Of course the best tool for bringing up vocals in a mix is something like Music Rebalance in Izotope RX7 which can work well on vocals.

One other thought... do you have an instrumental mix of the song?

James , Thanks for the reply. I only have the rendered stereo track of the entire project. The project was lost in major pc crash. I managed to use eq and compression to get it sounding right and salvage the song. I am now backing up everything I record. I don't plan on going thru this again. Thanks ... mark

I'm not sure of your level of computer expertise, but if you still have the hard drive with the "crashed" system, it may be possible to recover the original data if you can pull the drive up in another computer. If you wiped the drive and started from scratch, or reinstalled the OS from the beginning, that probably won't be possible.

I ended up using a Baxter mid/side eq vst. I was able to boost the vocal freqs' in the middle of the mix without effecting the side panned guitars nearly as much. mark

Back