MP3 Incoder

It's encoder with an "e", first of all. Sorry, grammar rant over.

Personally, I have found that the mp3 encoder doesn't work that well. It makes my stuff sound really odd, whereas if I export it as a wav and convert it to mp3 in iTunes, it sounds like I think it should sound. I don't think it's my settings, unless the encoder doesn't like VBRs. Anyway, the point is, you might be better off just converting it after the fact.

weird...isnt itunes still using those old encoders that make your cymbals sound like CD laugh tracks? The LAME ones should be fine at smart settings

I don't know what iTunes is using, but it sounds fine to me. I like to go at high quality VBR, so maybe LAME just doesn't like that. When I did it with LAME, it almost sounded like a tremolo was on. I mean, not quite that bad, but it was pretty awful.

I always thought iTunes used mp4 or whatever with DRM. I could be wrong though I don't use (and strongly dislike) iTunes.

It does, but you can change it to pretty much anything else. I avoid DRM like the plague. I'd use WMP if I wasn't on a Mac, but as it stands, iTunes is the best option. It grows on you after a while...

I use LAME. (Same link pipeline gave me 1 month ago)

Probably nothing to do with LAME, but does anyone else find, that after mix down (into MP3 or WAV) - it's like "WOW - That vocal is up way too high - what was I thinking ??".

Probably nothing to do with LAME, but does anyone else find, that after mix down (into MP3 or WAV) - it's like "WOW - That vocal is up way too high - what was I thinking ??".

The curse

turn you head or the volume or the number of people i nthe room, or go to another room or car or whatever

its always different!

Back