For me It could be the "Grim Reaper!" Advice appreiciated(more advice)

N

norskdrum

Hello Fellow members from a scorching Norway..it was nearly freezing at 5:30 am today this weather is really weird.

I thought I would move my ongoing threads to the appropriate Forum,so excuse me if you are reading some of these points yet again:o

As some of you will have read after a lot of very positive feedback both here and elsewhere I had no hesitation in purchacing the H4n Zoom (superb!)I have the remote to follow. and I have received good advice re- the posibility of using two addtional mics? (SEa1s+/or Oktavia mk12

If you had read my previuose posts you would have seen that I do not really intend to do much in the way of serious recording? certainly no mixing/Dubbing e.t.c.The recording idea came about due to me thinking how best I might save my percussion rehearsals/lessons,as I intend at some stage to be having lessons over the netI will be using a pair of congas and a pair of timbales + a percussion rack with smaller percussion items,+ maybe a cymbal..maybe even smaller drums ..|(still to be decided?)|

Reaper came just like the Zoom highly recommended over the alternatives..so as suggested I downloaded the latest version + the manuals:eek: and can already see the Reaper could well be the Grim for me!! It got me thinking do I really need DAW at all and is there not a simpler way of doing this..either recorded direct to laptop or via the SDHC cards?

Further advice/suggestions & guidance very much appreciated..as I told the othe other guys..I am in no hurry as the room is still being refurbished..so time to try and get this right...

amny thanks once again
cheers Steve:D

Sounds like you're just overwhelmed by all the features.

All sequencers do pretty much the same thing.
Ignore all the bells and whistles, stick to the basic functions and read the manual.
Give it some time and you'll get it....

Hello Tim
very good of you to reply..and never truer words spoken! It all looks double dutch to me...I really did not wish to get bogged down with DAWs..I like to do things right...

But you are quite correct I will continue reading all the manuals/imfo e.t.c. and see if I can isolate the auto/simple functions.ie record direct or sdhc card..and easy set up on each lesson..

all help appreciated
cheers Steve

You are not wrong Tim!

Hello Tim
very good of you to reply..and never truer words spoken! It all looks double dutch to me...I really did not wish to get bogged down with DAWs..I like to do things right...and will persist.

But you are quite correct, I will continue reading all the manuals/imfo e.t.c. and see if I can isolate the auto/simple functions.ie record direct or sdhc card..and easy set up on each lesson..

all help appreciated
cheers Steve:)

There's nothing complicated about it. Press arm, record, when you're done press sop, and save. Couldn't be simpler. The more time you spend on it, the more you'll get comfortable with it.

I suppose if all you're doing is tracking your practice sessions, and you don't plan to mix or multi-track ever, you could probably make do with Audacity. In that case, it's a matter of setting up your interface and pressing the "r" button.
Slightly simpler, and slightly cheaper. Though I suspect you'll probably want to do more eventually; then it will be nice to have Reaper.

Hi to saads & VomitHatSteve's
Really good of you to both offer such good encouragement,much appreciated..as long as I can keep it simple the better it will be,for all kinds of reasons.

I will continue to read the reaper guides....and try and work out a simple routine as you say Saads..I could go to Audacity as you say VomitHatSteve's,But unless that is childs play(simple) I will stick with reaper unless things go very wrong

many thanks to you both Regards Steve

Har du sett, en nordmann! ;)

I don't see why you would need a DAW for your purposes if you have the H4n. In stereo-mode you can record @ 24/96 and if you want to edit you would do well with Kristal Audio Engine or Audacity. I also have the H4n and I'm using it for recording ideas mostly DI but also with mics.

Audacity is almost childs play compared to Reaper. I had some problems with my old computer and Reaper. It wouldn't play or record.. And I tried so many different things, nothing worked. Audacity is free, but if you want a more advanced DAW and maybe later looking for expanding, Reaper is a great choice!

If you have several mics etc you want to record you could also just use an analog mixer and merge the tracks down to 2 or 4 channels and then over to the daw. The only problem would be you have to adjust the tracks correct before you record, if not, it's useless..

Hope this helped you. Many ways to do one thing;)

Hilser fra Norge!

Back