Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: May be going to Mac or Vista

Thanks

May be going to Mac or Vista

Sign in to disable this ad
    My laptop is getting pretty long in the tooth, and I may have to buy a new one soon.

The questions are:

1. I can't remember if Reaper has a Mac version or not (I can't access the site right now). I seem to remember a beta version?

2. Is Reaper compatible with Vista?

3. How would I transfer the program and not lose my license?

I know these are probably basic questions, sorry if I am coming across like a nitwit...
    Instead of a Do Not Disturb Sign, I need one that says "Already Disturbed. Proceed With Caution".

Thanks
    There is no final version of Reaper available for a Mac just yet. Only a beta version. Reaper is compatible with Vista.

Thanks
    If you still have the credentials you got when you registered, you should be able to simply enter them into your new installation.

Thanks
    reaper is compatable with vista but not all interfaces are
    Vista is the worst windows version I have used for audio recording
    IMO stay away from vists and get a new computer with XP media center edition. JM.02
    [SIZE="3"][COLOR="Blue"]
    [URL="http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default.cfm?bandID=1105850"]AXIOM (My Sons Band)[/URL]
    [URL="http://www.soundclick.com/Until This Day"]Until This Day[/URL][/COLOR][/SIZE]
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Thanks
    vista works great for audio, but if i were you i would wait for windows 7...

just check compatibility and make sure your audio interfaces have drivers. Ive run vista and its awesome, but windows 7 blows it away.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by jasonbmerrill View Post
    vista works great for audio, but if i were you i would wait for windows 7...
    I was hoping to do that myself, but according to MS in January, an official W7 release won't happen until next year. Does anyone have any information to the contrary?

Edited... double-checked the source info I used in the 1st version of this
    Last edited by MikeMcK; 03-06-2009 at 04:38. Reason: Fixed typo

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Roguetitan View Post
    reaper is compatable with vista but not all interfaces are
    Vista is the worst windows version I have used for audio recording
    IMO stay away from vists and get a new computer with XP media center edition. JM.02
    Vista works just fine and everyone I know that has it has no problem recording with it. Most interfaces should have drivers by now, afterall, it's been a few years since vista was first released.

I can't say anything as far as media center goes, I've never tried it.

Jason is right about windows 7. It's running faster than xp did on my old pentium 4. The last I heard was that they're aiming for the end of this year (which would be awesome!)

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by d.bop View Post
    Vista works just fine and everyone I know that has it has no problem recording with it. Most interfaces should have drivers by now, afterall, it's been a few years since vista was first released.

I can't say anything as far as media center goes, I've never tried it.

Jason is right about windows 7. It's running faster than xp did on my old pentium 4. The last I heard was that they're aiming for the end of this year (which would be awesome!)
    If you like Vista More power to you! I had problems with it using the interfaces I wanted to use with it that is why I went back to XP because it is a more stable operating system at the time. hopefully by now MS has updated the software to where it is more suitable for recording than it was when it first came out.
    XP media center edetion was designed specifically for the purpose of Audio/video recording, editing and playback so IMO it is the best operating system for that intended use.IMO
    YOMV
    [SIZE="3"][COLOR="Blue"]
    [URL="http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default.cfm?bandID=1105850"]AXIOM (My Sons Band)[/URL]
    [URL="http://www.soundclick.com/Until This Day"]Until This Day[/URL][/COLOR][/SIZE]
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Thanks
    I have to use Vista every day now and it's a farcical piece of software. Unless you desperately love how they've managed to both copy Apple and still make an ugly-looking OS, don't bother. The next Windows is a little more promising but I will stick with Mac or Linux where I have the choice for the forseeable future.

If you were to buy an Apple, Garageband would probably do most of what you want it to. Reaper isn't ready for primetime on Mac yet. But if you want the most hard disk and RAM for your buck, get a laptop and bung XP on it till they release a newer OS worth using.
    :mad:

Thanks
    I've got XP, Vista, and MAC at my house. For recording, MAC is very nice. My second choice is XP.

Everytime you turn on your MAC... it's reliable and ready to go. And.... no need to run a memory sucking anti-virus in the background!

Thread Information