May be going to Mac or Vista

Rokket

Trailing Behind Again
My laptop is getting pretty long in the tooth, and I may have to buy a new one soon.

The questions are:

1. I can't remember if Reaper has a Mac version or not (I can't access the site right now). I seem to remember a beta version?

2. Is Reaper compatible with Vista?

3. How would I transfer the program and not lose my license?

I know these are probably basic questions, sorry if I am coming across like a nitwit...:o

There is no final version of Reaper available for a Mac just yet. Only a beta version. Reaper is compatible with Vista.

If you still have the credentials you got when you registered, you should be able to simply enter them into your new installation.

reaper is compatable with vista but not all interfaces are
Vista is the worst windows version I have used for audio recording
IMO stay away from vists and get a new computer with XP media center edition. JM.02

vista works great for audio, but if i were you i would wait for windows 7...

just check compatibility and make sure your audio interfaces have drivers. Ive run vista and its awesome, but windows 7 blows it away.

vista works great for audio, but if i were you i would wait for windows 7...

I was hoping to do that myself, but according to MS in January, an official W7 release won't happen until next year. Does anyone have any information to the contrary?

Edited... double-checked the source info I used in the 1st version of this

Last edited:
reaper is compatable with vista but not all interfaces are
Vista is the worst windows version I have used for audio recording
IMO stay away from vists and get a new computer with XP media center edition. JM.02

Vista works just fine and everyone I know that has it has no problem recording with it. Most interfaces should have drivers by now, afterall, it's been a few years since vista was first released.

I can't say anything as far as media center goes, I've never tried it.

Jason is right about windows 7. It's running faster than xp did on my old pentium 4. The last I heard was that they're aiming for the end of this year (which would be awesome!)

Vista works just fine and everyone I know that has it has no problem recording with it. Most interfaces should have drivers by now, afterall, it's been a few years since vista was first released.

I can't say anything as far as media center goes, I've never tried it.

Jason is right about windows 7. It's running faster than xp did on my old pentium 4. The last I heard was that they're aiming for the end of this year (which would be awesome!)

If you like Vista More power to you! I had problems with it using the interfaces I wanted to use with it that is why I went back to XP because it is a more stable operating system at the time. hopefully by now MS has updated the software to where it is more suitable for recording than it was when it first came out.
XP media center edetion was designed specifically for the purpose of Audio/video recording, editing and playback so IMO it is the best operating system for that intended use.IMO:)
YOMV:cool:

I have to use Vista every day now and it's a farcical piece of software. Unless you desperately love how they've managed to both copy Apple and still make an ugly-looking OS, don't bother. The next Windows is a little more promising but I will stick with Mac or Linux where I have the choice for the forseeable future.

If you were to buy an Apple, Garageband would probably do most of what you want it to. Reaper isn't ready for primetime on Mac yet. But if you want the most hard disk and RAM for your buck, get a laptop and bung XP on it till they release a newer OS worth using.

I've got XP, Vista, and MAC at my house. For recording, MAC is very nice. My second choice is XP.

Everytime you turn on your MAC... it's reliable and ready to go. And.... no need to run a memory sucking anti-virus in the background!

I usually mix in Pro Tools, and when using my own gear and when the situation calls for more than 18 simultaneous inputs, I'll track in Reaper. I have an installation on a PC running a stripped (XPlite) install of XP Pro with networking and Internet Explorer removed. I also have an install of the mac version of Reaper on a dual core G5, so far there have been no anomalies with that rig and it has behaved very predictably as well.

I've also installed the beta of Reaper for Apple on my mixing machine, a quad core Intel powered Apple machine running Leopard, and that too has been fine with the tests so far.

Reaper uses a serial number to license, so just use the serial number you bought. The same serial works on all the versions I have installed on my hardware.

As the other guys have said, Vista really isn't a great platform to be running a DAW on, I'd advise against taking that route if at all possible. The pros I know in the business of building DAWs are all excited about Windows 7, but untill it is released you can't rely on it for being compatible or stable as a work platform. The same argument really applies to Reaper on Apple, it's still in beta so it's not necessarily ready for production. So that whittles your safe choice back to Windows XP \.

I usually mix in Pro Tools, and when using my own gear and when the situation calls for more than 18 simultaneous inputs, I'll track in Reaper. I have an installation on a PC running a stripped (XPlite) install of XP Pro with networking and Internet Explorer removed. I also have an install of the mac version of Reaper on a dual core G5, so far there have been no anomalies with that rig and it has behaved very predictably as well.

I've also installed the beta of Reaper for Apple on my mixing machine, a quad core Intel powered Apple machine running Leopard, and that too has been fine with the tests so far.

Reaper uses a serial number to license, so just use the serial number you bought. The same serial works on all the versions I have installed on my hardware.

As the other guys have said, Vista really isn't a great platform to be running a DAW on, I'd advise against taking that route if at all possible. The pros I know in the business of building DAWs are all excited about Windows 7, but untill it is released you can't rely on it for being compatible or stable as a work platform. The same argument really applies to Reaper on Apple, it's still in beta so it's not necessarily ready for production. So that whittles your safe choice back to Windows XP \.
Which is not an option if I buy a new computer... You have to search far and wide to find a computer with XP still on it. I too am waiting for Windows 7, which is supposed to be out soon. But I suspect that like most Windows OS's, it's going to be full of bugs when it comes out, and I'll have to hope my laptop holds out until then. I am not too hip on learning Mac OS yet, so I don't know if I am going to go that route. I tried to mess with my nephew's iMac, and I didn't really like it. Not that it was a bad OS or anything. I just have to learn it.

Which is not an option if I buy a new computer... You have to search far and wide to find a computer with XP still on it. I too am waiting for Windows 7, which is supposed to be out soon. But I suspect that like most Windows OS's, it's going to be full of bugs when it comes out, and I'll have to hope my laptop holds out until then. I am not too hip on learning Mac OS yet, so I don't know if I am going to go that route. I tried to mess with my nephew's iMac, and I didn't really like it. Not that it was a bad OS or anything. I just have to learn it.

I was like that even after I bought an Apple. I guess it's natural that you take some time to adapt after working one way since 1994. After a fortnight, though, I started to find XP a really frustrating OS. I'd gotten so used to my windows wizzing around for me and being able to read files without having to load them up in an application that having to go back to the old stuff quickly became annoying.

Less annoying, it has to be said, than Vista. I bought my brother a Dell PC with Vista on it and it crashed fatally (hard reboot) three times in the first week. Turns out it had updated some drivers with MS ones that didn't work properly or something. Ridiculous.

I just thought I would add. You can download the Windows 7 RC, and use it free of charge for a year, I'm not sure however if that is a year from when you install it, or a year from when they released it to the web. From what I have heard/read the retail release date is supposed to be some where around October of '09.

Shutdown Schedule for Windows 7 Beta and Windows 7 RC
To avoid interruption, it’s recommended that you and your customers rebuild test machines by using a valid Windows operating system before Windows 7 Beta and Windows 7 RC expire. Windows will automatically notify you that the expiration process is about to begin. Two weeks later, your PC will shut down every two hours. For Windows 7 Beta, the bihourly shutdowns will begin July 1, 2009. The software will expire August 1, 2009. For Windows 7 RC, the bihourly shutdowns will begin March 1, 2010. The software will expire June 1, 2010

I pulled this from the windows7forums.com. Looks like a little less than a year away.

By the way, Windows 7 pre-orders are only $50 right now ;)

I have to use Vista every day now and it's a farcical piece of software. Unless you desperately love how they've managed to both copy Apple and still make an ugly-looking OS, don't bother. The next Windows is a little more promising but I will stick with Mac or Linux where I have the choice for the forseeable future.

If you were to buy an Apple, Garageband would probably do most of what you want it to. Reaper isn't ready for primetime on Mac yet. But if you want the most hard disk and RAM for your buck, get a laptop and bung XP on it till they release a newer OS worth using.
THIS!
I gave Windows vista another try because some people saying vista is fine for recording and to give the OS the benefit of the doubt and all I can say about Vista is it totally sucks for audio recording and editing period.
have tried apple computer with garage band for recording and was not that impressed with it and I don't think I could ever get used to not having right click option on the cursor.
I am totally convinced that XP media edition is currently the best OS for Computer recording and editing with Reaper, Kristal,Wavosaur, Audacity, as well as several other freeware DAW programs and with Pro tools, Cubase LE4 in my own personal opinion.
Waiting to see what Windows 7 has to offer when it comes out.

THIS!
I gave Windows vista another try because some people saying vista is finve the benefit of the for recording and to give the OS the benefit of the doubt and all Ican say about Vista is it totally sucks for audio recording and editing period.
have tried apple computer with garage band for recording and was not that impressed with it and I dont think I could ever get used to not having right click option on the cursor.
I am totally convinced that XP media editk I could ever get use to not hion is currently the best OS for Computer recording and editing with Reaper, Kristal,Wavosaur, Audacity, as well as several other freeware DAW programs and with Pro tools, Cubase LE4 in my own personal opinion.
Waiting to see what Windows 7 has to offer when it comes out.

Um, you can right click in Mac OS. It's enabled by default on all their mice. ;)

the laptop i used dont have a right click option:confused:

How old was it? All the Macbooks from at least the last three years and almost all of the Powerbooks and iBooks going back to 2003 can right click by tapping two fingers on the trackpad instead of one. It's also how we scroll - by dragging two fingers up and down. Both options are actually much easier to use than a separate button/scrolling area.

Back