Mastering on reaper

I'll add, generic dynamics processors are generally not ideal for mastering. A proper mastering limiter will make life easier, largely because of the way their controls are designed.

Just avoid going into the red on the output.

Best advice as [MENTION=45599]gecko zzed[/MENTION] said: stay out of the red.
Dale

Yep I'm clear that I don't wanna see red...I don't think I was explaining very well that I still don't quite understand why the metre shows two different levels of db although common sense would suggest it's the green markers at 0db on the outer metres. Theres no red when the peaks get above 0db but I have been advised to keep the peaks there.

The meters show different scales. One relates to the analog world, and one relates to the digital world.

In the analog world, dbU, 0 = 0.7746 Volts. Levels are expressed in relation to this.
In the digital world, dbFS, 0 = the maximum it can get before clipping, and levels are expressed in relation to this.

I use ReaComp on my tracks. For mastering, I use the Kjaerhus Master Limiter, and adjust it's single control to just do a little compression in the loudest parts. If set correctly, it's output is at 0.3dBFS fairly consistently

Just avoid going into the red on the output.

I don't use Reaper, but I do use the Cockos plugin pack that includes the ReaEQ, ReaComp etc. Those are my default channel plugins. Even when I was experimenting with Reaper I didn't use the JS stuff much.

The system I usually use is a medium format mixer connected to a line level interface, so technically I am using a preamp ahead of the interface because it's required. There's also a patch bay and rack of hardware compressors. Most of the time I'm working on familiar performers so it's pretty safe to commit to a bit of processing on the way into the DAW. If I had to I could easily depend entirely on plugins.

I'll add, generic dynamics processors are generally not ideal for mastering. A proper mastering limiter will make life easier, largely because of the way their controls are designed.

I use ReaComp on my tracks. For mastering, I use the Kjaerhus Master Limiter, and adjust it's single control to just do a little compression in the loudest parts. If set correctly, it's output is at 0.3dBFS fairly consistently

Thanks for the input...I'll have a play around with the individual tracks first off ?

Back