mackie 820i

tc4b

Yeah I been drinkin, SO!?
Any reaper users using one of the mackie onyx 'i-mixers' (mixers with onboard firewire) with reaper? Seems like it should work fine, I'm just wary because I was burned in the past by proprietary nonsense and I'm not the most tech-savvy person. Does Mackie have a bad history of bricking their devices?

On the contrary, Mackie is a bit more open in terms of their control surfaces with the HUI protocol. I couldn't tell you if the 820i is going to work with Reaper, but chances are very good that it will, as it claims "Onyx-i FireWire Recording Mixers are now fully compatible with all major DAWs, including Avid's Pro Tools® M-Powered™ 8, Logic®, Sonar™, Cubase®, Ableton® Live, Acid® Pro, Digital Performer® and more."
Just get it from somewhere that has a decent return policy and have at it.

It took Justin intercepting the midi messages from the MCU to get MCU native support in reaper. Mackie wouldn't give us the time of day.

After he got it running he sent them a pic of an MCU with "Here comes the shitstorm" on the display

Mackie claims theyre using Dice II on their larger Onyx units, but the mixer ones might be OK. If they have a return policy, like stated above, you should be fine

Well, finally hooked it up today, and having all kinds of problems. I'm troubleshooting, but pissed. I like the mixer a lot, but I don't know if it's worth it if I can't use reaper. The good news is, reaper 'sees' all of the ins and outs. Just, well, not getting into detail now, just all kinds of weird sounding shit. Might have to (gasp) read the manual before giving up on it, though!

OK, I'm a dick, I have no patience, I admit it. Thing works beautifully after only a few minor tweaks. The main problem is my inexperience with mixers with this many routing options and, well, this much flexibility. Too many choices, didn't know what some of the buttons on the thing were even for. I just wanted it because I like the preamps and needed a new interface for my little home studio, and, maybe because I'm old, I like a mixer with knobs and shit.

So, bottom line, thing sounds fantastic and is now best buddies with Reaper. I'm glad I didn't have to choose between them! And also, I need to chill out. With whiskey.

It took Justin intercepting the midi messages from the MCU to get MCU native support in reaper. Mackie wouldn't give us the time of day.

After he got it running he sent them a pic of an MCU with "Here comes the shitstorm" on the display

Mackie claims theyre using Dice II on their larger Onyx units, but the mixer ones might be OK. If they have a return policy, like stated above, you should be fine

Weird. I've always heard the opposite about Mackie.

Had them working together for a few years now- I love my 820i and Reaper. Just bought a FW card for my DT so I could keep using it. It just recently developed an issue on CH2 input though- a buzzing sound when a 1/4" is insterted. Will start a separate thread for that.
C

Back