LUFS and master buss?

CoolCat

Ive always done the 2 track rendered Wave in Reaper, then I slap most plugins on the master buss.

So reading about LUFS and all that, I put the free LUFS meter at the end of the chain on the master buss....but then I noticed it didnt seem to follow the Master Buss slider and FX stuff...but if I lowered the Track, the volume and everything else was responsive.

So in other words Im asking, how is the Track slider operating vs the Master Buss slider? It seems the track slider has all the power to change things.

So another question is do most put the "mastering-mixing" plugins on the Track FX and not the master buss ?

On every track including the master, the FX come after the receives and before the volume fader. The individual track is sending to the master in a post-fader fashion, so its fader affects what gets received at the master and what that does to the master plugins, but the master fader is after the plugins, so they can’t know or care what it’s doing. Changing that master fader WILL affect what gets rendered such that the values your meter plugin show you are essentially meaningless. Either leave the master fader at unity, or move your meter plugin to MonitorFX which is between the master and your hardware outputs.

i didnt know that, thanks!

I did notice my render waves were different now and then randomly...now I probably know.

I guess will put the LUFS meter on the Track- after all the mix-mastering type plugins...probably leave the Master at 0 and empty.

Back