Latency on new mic

mcmac74

I've just started using a Rode NT1a for vocals to replace my old ADK mic...for the first time ever in reaper I have had what appears to be some kind of latency issue on playback. No issue recording and monitoring but the playback is a few milliseconds out. I think it even varies on takes which means I now have a ton of wav files to try and align...my questions are:

1. Why this issue with new mic and why on playback and not monitoring which I gather is where most problems arise?

2. In reaper how do I group a set of wav files (from same track) together so I can move them forwards a tiny bit together rather than one by one. I've probably got about 20 wavs from one vocal take after I've finished getting it perfect.

Never had this issue before and I'm hoping it's not gonna be a nightmare to align everything.

I know it would probably less time consuming to retake everything but quiet house time is rare, so rare!

My nt1a goes direct into a focusrite solo which is set up for low latency recording

Cheers
Mark

Last edited:
1 The mike is not responsible for latency. In fact no mike (other than maybe a USB mike) is.

2 Click on the first item on the track, then shift click on the last item on the track. You can then drag them as a unit forwards or backwards. You can also use N to nudge them likewise. Also when selected, you can use G to keep them together as a group, or go item/glue item, to create a combined item out of them.

As to why it has occurred, I can't really say. My best guesses are that either (a) you've indadvertently bumped them out of alignment somehow, or (b) you've inadvertently changed the latency control setting.

Also check your audio interface driver to make sure it didn't glitch - you don't mention what AI you are using.

In the Preferences menu, go to Audio Device > Recording, and at the bottom of that pop up, the last box on the left should be checked - 'use audio driver reported latency', and the two time things next to it should be at 0.0 (that's how you manually adjust latency issues).

Last edited:
2 Click on the first item on the track, then shift click on the last item on the track. You can then drag them as a unit forwards or backwards. You can also use N to nudge them likewise. Also when selected, you can use G to keep them together as a group, or go item/glue item, to create a combined item out of them.

Lots of ways then! ?

One last thing (for now) ...there was a section of a take where some seemed in time and another slightly out. I'd like to split the file in two so the wavs can be moved independently...I've seen a command for split item at cursor...is this the correct tool to use to do this?

I'll look at the settings on the solo for latency issue

Cheers Fellas

Yes . . . hit S to split the take. Leave the one in time where it is, then nudge the other to get it sitting nicely.

Yes . . . hit S to split the take. Leave the one in time where it is, then nudge the other to get it sitting nicely.

What an amazing tool that is.. on reflection the timing issues were probably me, monitoring the guitars too low and nothing to do with latency. The split thing has sorted it all with precision

The other tool you can use is Shift W.

1 Put the cursor on a bit of the wav that's in time and in front of an offending bit, then Shift W.
2 Put the cursor on a bit of the wav that's in time but after the offending bit, then SHift W.
3 Put the cursor on the bit that is out of time, then Shift W.
4 Move the little marker left or right to get it into time.

Back