Individual note shift

timtimtim

Is it possible in Reaper to shift individual notes a specified amount? I don't mean shifting all notes by say 3 semitones, but rather shifting D down by 3 semitones, E down by 4 semitones, F down by 3 semitones, etc.

yep.

There are a couple of ways.

One ways is to do it manually . . . simply split the note at begining an end, then drop that slice by the amount need. Easy, but long and tedious if you have a lot to do.

Another way is to use ReaVoice.

This involves using a midi track to modulate the pitch of an audio track. There are a number of videos demonstrating it.

Here's one:

YouTube

Thanks for the reply. That video didn't seem to address changing individual notes by different amounts. But I've worked out how I'll do it using your first suggestion: first shift the whole track down 3 semitones, then drop those notes which are wrong by another 1 semitone.

Thanks for the reply. That video didn't seem to address changing individual notes by different amounts. But I've worked out how I'll do it using your first suggestion: first shift the whole track down 3 semitones, then drop those notes which are wrong by another 1 semitone.

ReaVoice can do, in effect, the same thing.

You use midi to do it.

So you start with a reference note (C is usually used). If you have a long C note, you will simply get the same pitch as the original. If you want to drop it by 3 semitones, you simply shift the C down three semitones to A. And then where the notes have to go one more down, you put Ab notes at those spots.

Then, if you really want to get cute, you can put ReaPitch on the track, set it to 100% wet, and do a formant shift up three semitones to get the voice sounding more natural again.

Just realised it is impossible to do it because the reverb from the previous note still exists on top of the new note, so when you drop the new note the old note drops also which sounds terrible. I'll just have to record a new line with the right notes. Annoying.

Just realised it is impossible to do it because the reverb from the previous note still exists on top of the new note, so when you drop the new note the old note drops also which sounds terrible. I'll just have to record a new line with the right notes. Annoying.
Did you already print the reverb into the track, or is it natural reverb?

I don't use Reaper, but if I do have Melodyne in a track, it's the very first thing. (Its annoyance is that it essentially creates a clone, or 100% wet version, on the read/analyze phase so any timing edits have to actually be done in the Melodyne plugin from that point, unless you want to re-do any pitch corrections again.)

Elsewhere there is a discussion about recording with reverb, and you've just identified another good reason for recording dry and adding reverb later. However, if you are recording in a church or similar, you don't have a lot of choice.

No I didn't have a lot of choice because the synth voice I used (trombone) had reverb. Now I'm laboriously recording another line (laborious because the timing has to be exact)

This kind of thing would be super simple if you had the midi.

It may be possible . . .

1 Use Reatune to output the midi (tick 'send midi events when pitch changes')

2 Record that on a separate track ('record output: midi')

3 Edit that to correct the notes

4 Send that midi to the synth (midi hardware output)

5 Re-record the synth

Great idea, but I’m not sure I’d trust it if the timing is super important and definitely not if the original velocity matters at all.

I agree about velocity. As for timing, that can be fixed. There is a lot of fixing to do, because reatune's midi send throws up a whole heap of spurious notes that need to be deleted.

Back