Import track to project

rose62

Before I make a big hash up of a project, I thought I'd ask: I'm building a project from a series of tracks given, on a thumb drive, by the writer/singer. He broke up the parts into individual segments. Now, I want to import these parts over the music that I've recorded in a new project. On the drive, I open the project that he gave me. Which files do I import, since each track has several files associated with it? Peaks, mp3 etc. Or, must I import all files associated with that track?

If they are available , I would import the highest bit rate WAV files to keep quality as high as possible thru the mix. MS.

Focus on the WAV files. Reaper will create new peak files.

Don't worry about the MP3s. They may well have been created after recording. It's unlikely that someone would record using one format then another.

Edit: What DAW did he use to record with? I noticed you mentioned "I open the project". Is that a Reaper project or some other?

If its reaper you open the total project. As long as he did not use any plugins that you don't have.

If it is individual tracks and reading what you said, chopped into individual segments you are in trouble as you will have to place every segment in the correct location. If thats the case give it back to him and ask that he send you tracks complete from the same starting point.

Alan.

Hello , when I was using reaper I was getting cluttered up with all the file types when I exported. You can go into the main "Preferences" and select only the file types you want or need during export . This could make it much easier for file swapping. Your partner could just send you WAV files. Good Luck . Mark ..

If you're both using Reaper, I would open the project as he sent it to you and then go to File > Clean Current Project Directory to get rid of the clutter.

IF you are both using Reaper, manage your files - make sure everything is saved to a project-dedicated folder. Then send over the whole folder. When you get it back from hi, open the project, then save it to a new folder - all the relevant files will be there. Once you're happy with everything as is, you can delete the old folder.

Whole project, the only problem you could have is if there are plugins used that you don't have installed, the project will still open but it will tell you the plugin is missing.

Alan.

Also if you're using Reaper you could open both project files at the same time in different Project Tabs (File > New Project Tab) and you can even copy and paste the tracks you want from one project to the other. I'd save the combined project as a 3rd project file btw.

Great! Have you tried any of the suggestions? Care to answer any of the questions? Want to give more specific details or ask meaningful questions so we can help clarify? The ball is, in fact, in your court at the moment.

that is so true. i've had files sent me from protools guy and i work in studio one. nothing lines up correctly on the individual track timelines. i had to tell the protools guy to use the consolidate function in protools before downloading the tracks to a flash drive.trying to figure how to correctly place 40 tracks from where they should start in the song is impossible.

Back