HOW TO: Embedded tempo changes in imported MIDI

bemo

I'm importing a MIDI drum track from GuitarPro6 with embedded tempo changes but Reaper just ignores them and plays them at the project tempo. i.e. the song starts out at 108 bpm and after the intro changes to 142bpm but Reaper imports and plays at the project default of 120bpm.

Is there any way to change the tempo dynamically within the song once it starts playing? I've tried setting it to the initial tempo of 108 in the hopes that it would automatically switch, but to no avail.

Any suggestions?

I'm importing a MIDI drum track from GuitarPro6 with embedded tempo changes but Reaper just ignores them and plays them at the project tempo. i.e. the song starts out at 108 bpm and after the intro changes to 142bpm but Reaper imports and plays at the project default of 120bpm.

Is there any way to change the tempo dynamically within the song once it starts playing? I've tried setting it to the initial tempo of 108 in the hopes that it would automatically switch, but to no avail.

Any suggestions?

In Reason, I would just right click the track and click disable stretch. Surely there’s a similar option in Reaper.

This may help. It will detect tempo and let you apply a tempo envelope to make tempo changes on the fly.

When I import a midi file into Reaper (via Insert/Media file), Reaper asks me whether I want to import the mid temp map. I tick this, and the midi file is there complete with all its tempo changes.

If you are doing this, but you are just getting Reaper's default tempo, maybe the tempo changes haven't been saved to the midi file originally.

Any suggestions?
Right click on track in timeline, select item properties playback rate.

Back