How do i set up Busses in Reaper?

BSharp810

I know how to group my tracks so they share volume controls and fx... is that the same as a bus? If not could someone tell me how to create busses, and how to send tracks to them?

Opren manual... go to folder tracks. (it has pictures that explain it better than words)

In Reaper a track can be a bus and setting it to be a folder groups all tracks in it. Simple and elegant.

Insert a new track above the first track you want to place in it.
There's a little tiny folder icon on the track bar - click it to make this track a folder, then select the tracks below it to be part of the group - just grab and slide them over to the right a little, under the new folder.

To create a buss, insert the track wherever you want (usually below the tracks you want to send to the buss), then select the I/O feature to select which tracks are channeled to it, either pre- or post- fader.

Weird, what a creature of habit you can get to be :rolleyes:
To me faders were left and busses right. That became faders top busses and out on the bottom in a track view.
When you call them (or one of their functions perhaps) is a track folder, then yeah I guess it makes sense from that perspective, 'folders above.
:D

Here's what it looks like on my current project, I have the guitar reverb buss IN the Guitar group so that I can control its volume as well as the separate guitars all with the group volume envelope.

Reaper1.jpg

You can see the buss has the top half of the I/O button lit, indicating there are tracks channeled to it.

Reaper is awesome, but there are a bunch of different ways to do the same thing. I'm glad I saw this post because I haven't really used the folders much, now I want to go in and figure them out so I can see if they'll save me some time. Oh, and the manual is one of the best I've ever used.

Reaper is awesome, but there are a bunch of different ways to do the same thing. I'm glad I saw this post because I haven't really used the folders much, now I want to go in and figure them out so I can see if they'll save me some time. Oh, and the manual is one of the best I've ever used.

Yeah, I'm still getting used to the "a track is a track unless it's whatever you want it to be" concept. Very flexible, but I've had several "wait, I can do that?!?" moments. I started using folders a few days ago and now I can't stop organizing my tracks. I don't keep my busses with the tracks being sent to them, though. I keep them in their own folder at the bottom / far right. I don't use busses extensively yet, though, so that could change.

I've been using folders a lot lately. BUt I'm searching for a contol surface so I wanted to uses buses too, so that it's easier to use a limited fader count. Thanks for the info. (I'd used the I/O function for reverb sends, but never for a "submix" type bus.) Cool idea. Thanks.

Mind blown!

Opren manual... go to folder tracks. (it has pictures that explain it better than words)

In Reaper a track can be a bus and setting it to be a folder groups all tracks in it. Simple and elegant.

New to Reaper as of this last weekend, and this tip BLEW MY MIND. I was thinking about the way I usually would do it in Cubuse or Studio One. I didnt understand what that + was doing before, but now I know. SO SIMPLE AND SMART!!!!

I always use the method of dragging the route icon onto an empty track. You then click on the route icon on the track you want to go to the bus and de-select the tick that send that track to the master stereo bus, the track then will only go to the master bus via the bus (track) you created. Its that same as an FX send setup but you use a track as a bus I prefer this to the folder method.

Hope that made sense.

Alan.

PS Fixed up the description and added photos:
IMG_4700.JPGIMG_4701-1.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:
Also, to quickly route multiple tracks to another track, select all the tracks you want then Ctrl-Shift-drag from the routing icon on one of those tracks, to the target :-)

Back