head phone set up

jtskalon

Hey guys,
Pretty new to Reaper. Trying to move from a "Fly by the seat of my pants" to really learning Reaper.
Here is my question.
I run Reaper 5 on WIN XP. I have a DIGI 001 and a BEHRINGER ADA 8000. The Behringer is the master clock. Everything works fine so far. I mainly track drums for people. I usually don"t need to hear my drums in my phones when I record. Most clients send me an MP3 with a click or I add one. I lay down my tracks and send them back to the client.

Well I am really trying to learn evrything I can now and would like to set up a headphone mix to hear my drums while tracking. Sorry for all the babble to get to the point.

I was trying to use the DIGI 001 outputs 7/8 to a stereo headphone amp. I create a new track for phones, go into routing, turn off master sends, add new hardware . From there I can neither drag and drop the tracks onto the head phone track in the track panel or pull up the ROUTING MATRIX and add the track there. I can't choose them one at at time or pull down the row (HEAD PHONE LINE) to choose all of them.

Is trying to use the DIGI 001 outputs a bad idea? I can try the Behringer outputs but need ro buy some cables that I need first which is no big deal.
Hope I am making sense.
Thanks in advance,
Jack

Are you not able to use the Digi's headphone socket with monitor mode button pressed?

However, your solution is ingenious and should work.

It would be more efficient if you made use of folders.

For example you can create your headphone track routing it to 7/8.

You can then create a group folder called headphone tracks and add a send to the headphone track. Any track you put in here will then go to 7/8.

Alternatively, simply add a send for each track to go to the 7/8 track

You know, I never even thought about that button. I'll check that out, but I will try you folder suggestion. I like that.
Thanks for the help and quick response.

I trie the DIGI headphone jack with the monitor buutton pushed in. didn't work. I have the 2 overheads in channel 1 & 1 of the DIGI. I have kick, snare, 3 rack tom3, 2 floor toms and Hi-Hat in the 8 channels of my Behringer ADA 8000.

I was trying to use the DIGI 001 outputs 7/8 to a stereo headphone amp. I create a new track for phones, go to the routing matrix, turn off master sends, add new hardware, DIGI 001 outputs 7/8 . From there I can neither drag and drop the tracks onto the head phone track in the track panel or pull up the ROUTING MATRIX and add the track there. I can't choose them one at at time or pull down the row (HEAD PHONE LINE) to choose all of them.
I have followed Kenny's video so I don't know what I am missing unless it is the DIGI that is the issue which I kept because it works with REAPER and gave me more tracks tied in with the Behringer.
Any ideas?
Thanks,
Jack

Here's how I would go about it.

create a new track. Call it 'headphone feed'.

On this track, create a new hardware output and select digi tracks 7 & 8

Presumably you have tracks already recorded that you want to go into your headphone feed.

For each of these, you can add a new send going to the 'headphone feed', and for each you can adjust the level going into that feed.

If there are lots of tracks, or you don't want to go through the rigmarole of adding sends on every track, you can create a new track called 'band' or 'top level' or similar. Then indent all you tracks underneath this. Then on 'band' you can add a send to 'headphone feed' and set a global level.

Alternatively, you can simply indent all your tracks under the 'headphone feed' track.

Hi Gecko
Thanks for your help. Got it working. did 2 things, Not sure if one made a difference, The biggest problem was me.
Someone mentioned enabling ALLOW TRACK ENVELOPE/ROUTING WINDOWS TO STAY OPEN in OPTIONS - GENERAL - ADVANCED UI/SYSTEM TWEAKS.

The main issue was me. After creating a new Headphone track, disabling Master Parent Send and adding new hardwaare output, instead of adding new receive tracks, I added new sends. Now the headphones work great. I can create seperate headphone mixes. My Routing Matrix still looks a little strange to me. I thought I grabbed a screen shot to post here but it didn't take. I'm to tired to go back downstairs and fire everything back up. I can post one tomorrow if you are interested.
I do have another question. I have 2 xlr inputs for mic's on the DIGI and 8 on the Behringer. What is a good waay to add another 4 or so with out selling my first born. Can I add to what I have? just something I am kicking around for a possible future project. Thanks again for your help.
Jack

By the way. I went on YOUTUBE and REVERBNATION and really like the music - ALOT! Very cool. -Jack

Last edited:
Hi Ashcat. Thanks for the reply.
How do those tie in with the DIGI 001 and BEHRINGER ADA 80000 chain so REAPER sees them all?
I do have a 24 channel snake.
Thanks

Last edited:
I guess I assumed you had the Behringer connected via ADAT lightpipe, so you’d just plug the preamps into the line inputs on the Digi and go.

Hi Ashcat,

I hope you don't mind me pestering you. Just tell me to take a hike if I am. A lot of this end of recording is new to me. For lots years I sat behind the kit and was responsible for that side.

Anyway, on my system I have a DIGI 001 connected to the DIGI PCI card in the computer and the Behringer connected to the same DIGI PCI card. How would I add the Nady PRA-8 Microphone Preamplifier (or any pre) to my system? Is it pretty straight forward? Then do I just add the inputs and outputs to the rest in DEVICES in OPTIONS?

Man, I usually play some form or another 3 -5 gigs a week. At first this pandemic really sucked (well it still does), but I chose to use this time to learn and in that respect I can"t complain. Especially thanks to people like you. So thanks! (even if you tell me to take a hike or RTFM!)
Jack

From images I googled, the Digi 001 has 8 line inputs on the back of it. These should already be available in Reaper. Plug the preamp outputs into those inputs. If you need to go into Preference|Audio|Device and change the input range, then do that, but it would seem strange if you’re already using the microphone inputs and the adat inputs and the line ins aren’t just in between those. Are they not already in your list of available inputs when you go to set up a track?

Ahhhhh. I see. The outputs on the Behringer are not an extension of the inputs. Totally separate. I assumed the Nady was the same. This would definitely work. Thanks Ashcat

Ashcat, Meant to tell you I picked up the Nady PRA-8 Microphone Preamplifier. Works like a charm. Thanks
Jack

Cool. Glad it’s working out for you. It might not impress any of those people who expect fancy vintage boutique bullshit, but there’s not a damn thing wrong with these pres.

Back