Editing midi notes in reaper

mcmac74

I'm trying to drop the velocity of a snare which was dropped into reaper from MT drummer. On Kenny Gioia's tutorial its as simple as right clicking on the piano on left in the midi editing screen and then changing velocity for all notes in the edit. Unfortunately I'm trying to do that and it doesn't offer any option like in the tutorial, just sounds the snare and turns all notes on the line orange?

It would also be useful to be able to group all the drum parts of the song together for one swift edit as mt drummer only let's you drop a few bars in at a time. I'm guess reaper has some way to do this.

Any guidance appreciated as always.

Cheers, Mark

1. If you left click on any note in the midi editor, you can then hover near the top of the note till you see an up and down arrow, then drag up or down to raise or lower the velocity of the note.

2. If you right click on any note on the piano bar, you select all notes the same as the one clicked on, and you can increase or decrease the velocity using the same method as above.

3. If you want to edit all notes in a midi item, then do CTRL A to select all, then use the method in step 1.

4. If the midi item is a repeating loop, then the edit will carry through all the repeats.

However, if you insert a new midi items (i.e. "mt drummer only let's you drop a few bars in at a time"), and you want to change velocity on a bunch of separate items, you needs a few more steps:

5. Insert all the bars you need until you have put together a drum track for the entire song.

6. Click and drag over all the bars to select them all.

7. Do CTRL SHIFT G to make a single item out of all the bars selected

6. The go to step 2 or step 3.

There's also the envelope directly beneath the piano roll which can be set for velocity.
Then just drag the vertical bar (in that envelope) of the note up or down.

1. If you left click on any note in the midi editor, you can then hover near the top of the note till you see an up and down arrow, then drag up or down to raise or lower the velocity of the note.

2. If you right click on any note on the piano bar, you select all notes the same as the one clicked on, and you can increase or decrease the velocity using the same method as above.

3. If you want to edit all notes in a midi item, then do CTRL A to select all, then use the method in step 1.

4. If the midi item is a repeating loop, then the edit will carry through all the repeats.

However, if you insert a new midi items (i.e. "mt drummer only let's you drop a few bars in at a time"), and you want to change velocity on a bunch of separate items, you needs a few more steps:

5. Insert all the bars you need until you have put together a drum track for the entire song.

6. Click and drag over all the bars to select them all.

7. Do CTRL SHIFT G to make a single item out of all the bars selected

6. The go to step 2 or step 3.

There's also the envelope directly beneath the piano roll which can be set for velocity.
Then just drag the vertical bar (in that envelope) of the note up or down.

Thanks guys...I'll get back to it in a couple of days and give those a try ?

And then there's the synthesizer who walked into a bar and, after several drinks, said "Oscillator boys.. gotta run".

:yawn::p

Back