Deleting a portion of silence

mcmac74

Evening

I have removed all track media from the count in to this song...just wondering how I remove about half of the actual time so that theres not too much silence before the song kicks in....sure it's going to be a synch and some use of the Split function but cant figure it right now ?

Mark

There's a function with a name something like "ripple* edit" that will let you cut out some time from anywhere in the song, fusing both sides of the edit together. On the timeline at the top select the portion you want to remove, then delete.

That said, you could just select on the timeline the part of the song you want and export that. You don't have to export the full length.

*Corrected from "shuffle edit."

Last edited:
select the area you want to get rid off, then right click and select 'remove contents of selection . . .".

or simply highlight the whole track, right click, and select 'crop to selection'.

select the area you want to get rid off, then right click and select 'remove contents of selection . . .".

or simply highlight the whole track, right click, and select 'crop to selection'.

Removing contents of selection only removes the media and leaves silence...it doesn't remove time....however the second option looks good and will give a go later ?

Removing contents of selection only removes the media and leaves silence...it doesn't remove time....however the second option looks good and will give a go later ��

The actual option is "Remove contents of selection (moving later items)". So it will get rid of media, and gets rid of time. It deletes a whole chunk from the timeline, moving forward whatever is left on the right.

The actual option is "Remove contents of selection (moving later items)". So it will get rid of media, and gets rid of time. It deletes a whole chunk from the timeline, moving forward whatever is left on the right.

Job done thanks...time to master at last!?

Hmmm....the file has rendered at 33mb...thisfile is too large to send through my email which I'd like to do so I can hear in car, various speakers etc....old wav files I've done on my old Korg D1200 were only 2 - 4 mb. How do I remedy this without losing too much quality? I'm using 64 bit version of reaper.

Cheers
Mark

WAV files are typically about 9mb a minute. So a 33mb WAV file would be a song that's about three and half minutes.

So that looks pretty normal.

If you are expecting 2 to 4 mb, you are most likely looking at MP3 rather than WAV. A 3.5 minute song rendered to a 128 kbps MP3 file would be about 3mb, close to what you might expect. A high quality 320 kbps MP3 would run to about 8mb.

When you render in Reaper, you will get a range of bitrates to choose from. Pick a bitrate that gives the highest quality but fits within your email limit

WAV files are typically about 9mb a minute. So a 33mb WAV file would be a song that's about three and half minutes.

So that looks pretty normal.

If you are expecting 2 to 4 mb, you are most likely looking at MP3 rather than WAV. A 3.5 minute song rendered to a 128 kbps MP3 file would be about 3mb, close to what you might expect. A high quality 320 kbps MP3 would run to about 8mb.

When you render in Reaper, you will get a range of bitrates to choose from. Pick a bitrate that gives the highest quality but fits within your email limit

Ok cheers...I'm out my depth on this technical aspect..so looking at the render tab and WAV bit depth / large files section, which are my optimal settings for best file quality?... and what should I be looking at to get the WAV round 10mb?

Regards
Mark

Hmmm....the file has rendered at 33mb...thisfile is too large to send through my email which I'd like to do so I can hear in car, various speakers etc....old wav files I've done on my old Korg D1200 were only 2 - 4 mb. How do I remedy this without losing too much quality? I'm using 64 bit version of reaper.

Cheers
Mark

When using Gmail, large attachments get uploaded to Google Drive with a link in the email. There are quite a few cloud based storage options that would let you do essentially the same thing with any email service.

Ok cheers...I'm out my depth on this technical aspect..so looking at the render tab and WAV bit depth / large files section, which are my optimal settings for best file quality?... and what should I be looking at to get the WAV round 10mb?

Regards
Mark

Just as there are with MP3 renders, you have a range of options for rendering WAV files. You can click on bit depth, and render at bit depths of 8, 16, 24 and so on. However, these are not going to give you much joy. Rendering at 8 bit will only get you to about 17mb and will not sound very nice.

You are better off rendering to MP3.

I'm not convinced that your 2 to 4 mb Korg files were actually WAV. Unless they were very short.

Just as there are with MP3 renders, you have a range of options for rendering WAV files. You can click on bit depth, and render at bit depths of 8, 16, 24 and so on. However, these are not going to give you much joy. Rendering at 8 bit will only get you to about 17mb and will not sound very nice.

You are better off rendering to MP3.

I'm not convinced that your 2 to 4 mb Korg files were actually WAV. Unless they were very short.

You're right...I checked and they're WMA...Mp3 for mix check then. Thanks?

When using Gmail, large attachments get uploaded to Google Drive with a link in the email. There are quite a few cloud based storage options that would let you do essentially the same thing with any email service.

Thanks for the reply....I'm a bit wary of cloud storage...I used the Microsoft version but then it seemed to freeze me unless I signed up for paid storage...now it seems locked out completely!

Mark

Back