dead in the water - probably a dumb question

jtskalon

Sorry if this is long.
My PC died. motherboard. it is an older HP.
Here is whatI am running (in a nut shell)
Reaper 6.13
HP 8GB mem, 500gb SATA drive, 2TB SATA DRive
Windows XP Pro
DIGI 001, Behringer ADA8000 light pipe to DIDGI (Beheringer is Master Clock) , NADY 8 channel pre amp into DIGI as needed for more tracks giving me 24 tracks.

It works (or was working great for a couple of years).

I need a new PC, good luck finding a pc with XP Pro.
Maybe 7 but it has to be 32 bit. Unless you are aware of drivers DIGI001 won't work on Win 7 64bit. I assume it won't work on 10.

What I am asking is outside of the DIGI will everything else run on WINDOWS 10? Do I need to upgrade Reaper? how do I replace the DIGI001 with out having to replace everything else? I can't a new pc and all new audio gear. Any ideas? I know it's a huge ask.
Thanks
Jack

Reaper works on W10 just fine. If you still have your 32 bit installation file somewhere, you can simply invoke that, and it will install ok.

Alternatively, you can simply download the latest 64 bit version.

If you bought Reaper, you should have a Reaper licence file somewhere.

I am in the fortunate position of saving intallation and licence files to an external drive, so if the main one fails (or I get a new PC), I don't lsoe them.

If I was in your situation, I'd get a second hand mobo, just check that the drivers for it (graphics, chipset etc) supports XP. Newer mobo's might not.
A newer mobo would definitely be a crapshoot. XP has been officially unsupported for years now, so there's no incentive for manufacturers to make sure it will work. (I don't know if anyone even makes 32-bit mobos anymore)

Reaper works on W10 just fine. If you still have your 32 bit installation file somewhere, you can simply invoke that, and it will install ok.

Alternatively, you can simply download the latest 64 bit version.

I think his big concern is that his audio card (the digi 001) doesn't support newer versions of windows, and may not even support 64 bit OSes at all. (The 001 was originally built for Win98)

The archivist in me sees the value in a project like this: keeping old technology alive. Ensuring that replacement parts for outmoded OSes and CPUs can be found.
But dang... I personally wouldn't bother. Might be time to consider some massive upgrades.

Back