Current Reaper project...

vicenzajay

Just for listening kicks, here's a track done completely in Reaper of a young, original metal band I'm recording now:

Enjoy,
Jay

The bass (especially the lick at the begining) is soooo out of tune... The compressor is also working too hard on the bass (for my taste). (That is in the jazz track)

The bass (especially the lick at the begining) is soooo out of tune... The compressor is also working too hard on the bass (for my taste). (That is in the jazz track)

No, the bass is in tune but the bassist just missed some notes in the walkdowns. When you're playing harmony notes on bass, they have to be the right sequence to compliment the guitarist. The rest of it sounded great.

By the end, the bass player had it figured out.

In this case...

The bass line IS the melody on the intro to this tune...and I wasn't missing notes - been playing this tune for over 2 years. I will work on the compression - thanks for that suggestion. For some reason people's ears hear things differently - especially with fretless bass...if I run that line through reatune or any other analyzer, my intonation is actually quite close to spot on...and the notes are correct for the key of the composition.

What are "off" are the drums and the rest of the instruments (as we had no drummer for the original practice). He decided to lay some tracks down one evening - and this is the result. I hear lots of "fighting" between the kick and the rest of the mix...all timing related. There's a little too much "thump" to the kick for this mix as well (imo). All stuff to work on...great fun in any case.

Thanks for listening, though.

Jay

Last edited:
The only two things I don´t like is the sound of the kick, which sounds like the beater hitting a cardboard box. And then I think the bass could be a bit more defined and louder.

But allaround it sounds great.

Cool...

Thanks again...yeah, I'm torn on the kick...it's actually a floor tom mounted sideways for the jazz kit...so I'm not wanting it to be "thunderous" in this setting, but it does sound very "cardboardy"...I'm using a D-6 on it for this practice.

Yep - fretless with rounds...and I can make it clearer - thanks for that!

Jay

...but it does sound very "cardboardy"...I'm using a D-6 on it for this practice.

Try sweeping around 300Hz and cut a little bit to minimize the cardboard effect.

Good tunes, not bad at all for practice recordings. Gotta love Reaper!

Will do....

Try sweeping around 300Hz and cut a little bit to minimize the cardboard effect.

Good tunes, not bad at all for practice recordings. Gotta love Reaper!

Thanks - Voxengo's span is showing me pretty much the same thing...little heavy on the 200-300 hz range.

I'll do some parametric sweeping in that area for the drum!

Jay

No problem. That range is critical in both kicks and toms. You shouldn't need to cut too much. If you do, really try to zero in on the specific frequency that's giving you the most trouble and use a high Q (small bandwidth in ReaEQ) to get rid of it, doing minimal damage elsewhere.

Back