Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: Is Cubase falling behind?

Thanks
    Sign in to disable this ad
    maybe Cubase is falling behind?! In what areas?

Reaper is free to try! full version!! latest regular upgrades/releases.
    Reaper / midi issues? dunno... Lots of upgrades in the midi area.

I use reaper with midi all the time, with internal vsts and external midi synths.

I guess we won't know squat about alot until you dl & install Reaper.

What's the holdup? Reaper doesn't bite much! ...don't fear the Reaper!
    (the software, that is... the Grimm Reaper? that's another subject.)

Install the latest and get back to us... Please, let us know.

Thanks
    If Cubase can be fixed or my latency can be better without the audio spikes, I would rather stick with Cubase. I may come across a little angry sometimes and that's because I didn't want one of my posts deleting which was in the Cubase section which now causes a little confusion. My next step is to do what I did above but use my focusrite 6i6. Next step after that is to consider Reaper or Cubase 9/9.5. I should note that I tried Reaper many years ago but I found it over my head after using Cubase for around 20 years and it would mean a totally new learning experience.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by jamie1981uk View Post
    I tried Reaper many years ago but I found it over my head after using Cubase for around 20 years and it would mean a totally new learning experience.
    I had the same experience. It's so much cheaper that I wanted to like it, but just couldn't get into the work flow, lack of depth, etc...and I love programming midi in Cubase.
    The next best DAW (and the most similar to Cubase) is Studio One. The summing engine in SO sounded weird to me, though, even though they say that's impossible. Maybe it's how plugins reacted to the DAW.

Thanks
    WHATCH THIS I am sure it is an issue unrelated to Cubase itself. Even new computers can have conflicts with audio interfaces and even with their own USB controllers or video cards. Sometimes it just doesn't work out well for audio recording.

I had a build that basically rendered my Steinberg interfaces unusable because of dropouts. Never actually found the exact cause, but motherboard change fixed it.

There is a video that kind of sums up how issues can happen between components. Let me try to find it. It may not be directly for you but the knowledge may help you to find the issue.

Here it is:

LINK

This video will give you ways to find your issue. Watch the whole thing.
    Last edited by jimmys69; 09-18-2018 at 15:39.
    PC Win7-64-24G i7-4790k/Cubase 9 Pro 64-bit/2-Steinberg UR824's/ADAM A7x/Event TR8/SS Trigger Plat Deluxe/Melodyne 4 Studio/Other things that don't mean anything if a client shows up not knowing what it wants.

Thanks
    DPC Latency Checker would be my first start. Maybe it will tell you about a conflict.
    PC Win7-64-24G i7-4790k/Cubase 9 Pro 64-bit/2-Steinberg UR824's/ADAM A7x/Event TR8/SS Trigger Plat Deluxe/Melodyne 4 Studio/Other things that don't mean anything if a client shows up not knowing what it wants.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by jimmys69 View Post
    WHATCH THIS.
    Nice video. Now I don't feel so bad for saying it's the computer.

A good way to test this is download the free trial of Reaper and see if it's fast.

Other things to try:

1. Reinstalling Cubase in the event something got corrupted, etc.
    2. Use Ccleaner and clean all junk/optimize the computer.

Thanks
    Jimmys69 and Nola. This is a ongoing issue I have had and this is now the third time I will have mentioned it is a brand new pc. New motherboard, ram, cpu and gpu. It was doing it before the new build and its doing it after the new build. My old system was AMD and my new system is Intel. Now I don't want to assume its not the pc but its pretty unlikely at this stage. Since its a new build we could probably discount reinstalling since its a brand new install. I will give the DPC latency checker a whirl tonight.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by jamie1981uk View Post
    Jimmys69 and Nola. This is a ongoing issue I have had and this is now the third time I will have mentioned it is a brand new pc. New motherboard, ram, cpu and gpu. It was doing it before the new build and its doing it after the new build. My old system was AMD and my new system is Intel. Now I don't want to assume its not the pc but its pretty unlikely at this stage. Since its a new build we could probably discount reinstalling since its a brand new install. I will give the DPC latency checker a whirl tonight.
    Did you watch that video?
    He explains specs mean nothing if a piece of hardware is causing a log jam.

Install Reaper and see if it's fast. That's an easy way to see if it's Cubase.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Nola View Post
    Did you watch that video?
    He explains specs mean nothing if a piece of hardware is causing a log jam.

Install Reaper and see if it's fast. That's an easy way to see if it's Cubase.
    I'm currently at work so I've not had chance to watch the video yet. I said what I said because you both asked about reinstalling and were talking about pc components. I was just stating that it was happening before my new build and everything I have in pc is new (motherboard, cpu, ram, gpu) and I obviously had to to a clean install of everything. I will be watching the video but I wanted to clear that up because I have mentioned it a few times. Once I'm home I will be doing that checker and watching the video and posting any news. I'm still not discounting the eleven rack since other people have claimed lower latency but they have not really said what APU they are using.

Thanks
    Screenshot (1).png

I turned on my pc along with my 11R and then I downloaded DPC latency checker and this was the result. I'm off work for a few days so i'm going to test the Focusrite. I watched the video and it certainly gave a lot of information. The one thing I did know which he mention was the buffer effecting the Latency. Now one thing that a I have read people say is, "Raise the buffer to stop pops crackles etc" which is some what true. In part of the video he mentions running a buffer size of 128 at 44.100KHz would be about as well has anything out there. Well my 11R was certainly hitting red at a buffer size of 224. After a few more tests I will look at Reaper and see what that says. Just a thought and it may sound daft but, could old APU's bottleneck due to newer DAW/Plugins?

Thread Information