Is Cubase falling behind?

maybe Cubase is falling behind?! In what areas?

Reaper is free to try! full version!! latest regular upgrades/releases.
Reaper / midi issues? dunno... Lots of upgrades in the midi area.

I use reaper with midi all the time, with internal vsts and external midi synths.

I guess we won't know squat about alot until you dl & install Reaper.

What's the holdup? Reaper doesn't bite much! ...don't fear the Reaper!
(the software, that is... the Grimm Reaper? that's another subject.)

Install the latest and get back to us... Please, let us know.

If Cubase can be fixed or my latency can be better without the audio spikes, I would rather stick with Cubase. I may come across a little angry sometimes and that's because I didn't want one of my posts deleting which was in the Cubase section which now causes a little confusion. My next step is to do what I did above but use my focusrite 6i6. Next step after that is to consider Reaper or Cubase 9/9.5. I should note that I tried Reaper many years ago but I found it over my head after using Cubase for around 20 years and it would mean a totally new learning experience.

I tried Reaper many years ago but I found it over my head after using Cubase for around 20 years and it would mean a totally new learning experience.

I had the same experience. It's so much cheaper that I wanted to like it, but just couldn't get into the work flow, lack of depth, etc...and I love programming midi in Cubase.
The next best DAW (and the most similar to Cubase) is Studio One. The summing engine in SO sounded weird to me, though, even though they say that's impossible. Maybe it's how plugins reacted to the DAW.

WHATCH THIS I am sure it is an issue unrelated to Cubase itself. Even new computers can have conflicts with audio interfaces and even with their own USB controllers or video cards. Sometimes it just doesn't work out well for audio recording.

I had a build that basically rendered my Steinberg interfaces unusable because of dropouts. Never actually found the exact cause, but motherboard change fixed it.

There is a video that kind of sums up how issues can happen between components. Let me try to find it. It may not be directly for you but the knowledge may help you to find the issue.

Here it is:

LINK

This video will give you ways to find your issue. Watch the whole thing.

Last edited:
WHATCH THIS.

Nice video. Now I don't feel so bad for saying it's the computer.

A good way to test this is download the free trial of Reaper and see if it's fast.

Other things to try:

1. Reinstalling Cubase in the event something got corrupted, etc.
2. Use Ccleaner and clean all junk/optimize the computer.

Jimmys69 and Nola. This is a ongoing issue I have had and this is now the third time I will have mentioned it is a brand new pc. New motherboard, ram, cpu and gpu. It was doing it before the new build and its doing it after the new build. My old system was AMD and my new system is Intel. Now I don't want to assume its not the pc but its pretty unlikely at this stage. Since its a new build we could probably discount reinstalling since its a brand new install. I will give the DPC latency checker a whirl tonight.

Jimmys69 and Nola. This is a ongoing issue I have had and this is now the third time I will have mentioned it is a brand new pc. New motherboard, ram, cpu and gpu. It was doing it before the new build and its doing it after the new build. My old system was AMD and my new system is Intel. Now I don't want to assume its not the pc but its pretty unlikely at this stage. Since its a new build we could probably discount reinstalling since its a brand new install. I will give the DPC latency checker a whirl tonight.

Did you watch that video?
He explains specs mean nothing if a piece of hardware is causing a log jam.

Install Reaper and see if it's fast. That's an easy way to see if it's Cubase.

Did you watch that video?
He explains specs mean nothing if a piece of hardware is causing a log jam.

Install Reaper and see if it's fast. That's an easy way to see if it's Cubase.

I'm currently at work so I've not had chance to watch the video yet. I said what I said because you both asked about reinstalling and were talking about pc components. I was just stating that it was happening before my new build and everything I have in pc is new (motherboard, cpu, ram, gpu) and I obviously had to to a clean install of everything. I will be watching the video but I wanted to clear that up because I have mentioned it a few times. Once I'm home I will be doing that checker and watching the video and posting any news. I'm still not discounting the eleven rack since other people have claimed lower latency but they have not really said what APU they are using.

Screenshot (1).png

I turned on my pc along with my 11R and then I downloaded DPC latency checker and this was the result. I'm off work for a few days so i'm going to test the Focusrite. I watched the video and it certainly gave a lot of information. The one thing I did know which he mention was the buffer effecting the Latency. Now one thing that a I have read people say is, "Raise the buffer to stop pops crackles etc" which is some what true. In part of the video he mentions running a buffer size of 128 at 44.100KHz would be about as well has anything out there. Well my 11R was certainly hitting red at a buffer size of 224. After a few more tests I will look at Reaper and see what that says. Just a thought and it may sound daft but, could old APU's bottleneck due to newer DAW/Plugins?

After reading all the comments and watching that video I have had time to step back and have a good look at what I have got rather what I have not got. As musicians and producers we can spend a lot of money on equipment and if we are not happy it would be easy to say, Lets upgrade or lets change this that and the other. upgrading my pc was required but upgrading my DAW and APU may not be.

The video does talk about lower latency and lower buffer size so I have had a go at getting a sweet spot but a low latency which is now set at...Buffer size 362 with a Latency of 10.816. The VST Performance was showing Average Load around 20/100 and Real-Time Peak at around 5/100. In the video I noticed his Real-time peak was much higher so I did something I believe nobody mentioned and turned off ASIO-Guard. VST Performance is now, Average Load 20/100 and Real-time Peak floating just under and above 25/100. I have loaded one of my projects which isn't over complicated atm 7 tracks of guitar using Scuffham and 1 track with Addictive drums 2. I have looped the project for around 20 mins now with no spikes. Things may be looking good and if may be a combination of a few things but I will certainly keep a eye on things. Thank you everyone for chipping in those comments and I will keep you updated on this. My question now would be about upgrading to Cubase 9/9.5. a few people saying its more stable but would it make a difference going to Pro and should I stay with Artist? What is the difference between 9 and 9.5? This is certainly a future thing rather than a instant purchase.

Great to hear you are getting better results now.

I didn't even think of ASIO Guard. Didn't think I even had it on, but it is. Set at 'normal' level. 'Activate Multi Processing' checked. Steinberg Audio Power Scheme off as I already found the best PC settings from HERE

So here are some screenshots of my setup. 96 track project (including effects, drum samples and compression/reverb buses). Kind of a small one for me but is the one I am currently working on now. Have full mix running, and can still record vocals under 6ms even with 4x oversampling Fabfilter Pro-L which usually adds some latency. 96 sample buffer with my Steinberg interfaces. No dropouts or pops. The pix are from this project set at this buffer and other settings:

Attachments

• USB ASIO Settings.PNG
    USB ASIO Settings.PNG
    47.6 KB · Views: 2
  • VST Audio System Settings.PNG
    VST Audio System Settings.PNG
    29.6 KB · Views: 6
  • VST Performance Meter.PNG
    VST Performance Meter.PNG
    31.6 KB · Views: 2
And to the question about Cubase 9 or 9.5? I upgraded to 9.5 and hated it. For my setup with 3 video monitors, it just pissed me off. The routing of tracks and things just did not work for me.

That does not mean it would not work for others. Seems much better for those using midi instruments and maybe working on just a laptop with one screen. 9.5 to me was like re-learning how to use the things I was used to doing without thinking. Fingers just hit the shortcuts I know. When you have to go to the manual to figure out what the hell is going on with a client in the room? It just don't look good. I tried a bit and deleted the 9.5 program.

But that is just me. Kind of an extreme change for a guy used to things working the way I expect. Sure I will take the time to learn the changes and get used to it, but naw.... not yet.

Cubase 9 Pro is however the best version I have worked with. Been here since Cubase 4

Oh, and any 'Artist' version limits a bunch of good stuff. One being 'Batch Export'. If you collaborate with others, you want this ability.

I must admit I really liked 9.5, and the list of show or hide things on both the main page and the mixer I use on my large monitor. funny how what I found a good change you hated. None of my usual shortcuts or menu items seem to be different? I guess we use different features - not sure I like the new normalise window. I liked the older one.

Something that really helps with overall laptop speed (W7 at least) is adjusting for best performance (system--advanced--performance--settings--adjust for best performance).
This gets rid of all the fancy graphics, which might be an eyesore because suddenly it looks like Windows 95, but man does it speed up a computer.

Download the Intel Extreme Utility Tool, too. It will give you all types of options for testing the CPU, graphics card, etc.

I must admit I really liked 9.5, and the list of show or hide things on both the main page and the mixer I use on my large monitor. funny how what I found a good change you hated. None of my usual shortcuts or menu items seem to be different? I guess we use different features - not sure I like the new normalise window. I liked the older one.

Different strokes... :)

I was most offed by the setup of inputs that changed. But that was in a live situation, trying to figure out new software and connection with a new interface/mixing board. I kinda freaked out. LOL

Don't you find it strange that you are using Yamaha Steinberg and getting great results? Surely it can't be a coincidence that you are using something with the Steinberg name with something made by Steinberg? It's daft to say it but let's look at the evidence. My Eleven Rack is made by Avid who also created Pro Tools. Both were packaged together at one point which does ask the question about optimising certain equipment for certain brands. If I tried to put the 11R at 96 buffer it would turn into a bowl of Rice Crispy. Just out of curiosity which model are you using? I think with your screenshot you just hit the nail on the head.

Don't you find it strange that you are using Yamaha Steinberg and getting great results? Surely it can't be a coincidence that you are using something with the Steinberg name with something made by Steinberg? It's daft to say it but let's look at the evidence. My Eleven Rack is made by Avid who also created Pro Tools. Both were packaged together at one point which does ask the question about optimising certain equipment for certain brands. If I tried to put the 11R at 96 buffer it would turn into a bowl of Rice Crispy. Just out of curiosity which model are you using? I think with your screenshot you just hit the nail on the head.

Actually, no. My newest computer build that led me down this path to give this info I have, was with the Steinberg interfaces, Cubase, and a brand new ASRock Extreme4 motherboard. It did not work at all. Dropouts every few seconds. There are literally 1000 pages of people with different os, motherboards, and various combos of graphics cards talking about it on the Steinberg forum. Even Cubase with it's own interface did not work. A new Steinberg driver solved it for many I think, but I fixed it by just replacing my MOBO with an older ASUS board.

That being said, it not necessarily about the manufacturer. In my case it seemed to be the USB controller on the ASRock motherboard that caused the issue. It was never Cubase. Again, never actually got anyone to admit the issue that caused the disconnect/bottleneck, but the new MOBO definitely solved the issue and here I am with low latency and no issues.

I am only trying to help you with ways to find what is causing your issue.

Back