Crash on Wav playback

MysticMonk

Hello all,

So I recently just made a new desktop computer and installed all the software I was using previously on my laptop. Everything seems to be working fine except for the fact Reaper crashes every single time it's about to play an imported .wav file.

However, it seems to only crash with specific drum samples I have (which work perfectly fine on my laptop). I tried downloading some .wav sound effects and they play fine in Reaper, furthermore it can play back .wav files Reaper rendered itself.

I've tried downloading previous versions of Reaper with no avail.

EDIT: I've made an interesting discovery. The crash report said I had a problem with "elastique2.dll", which I found out is part of Reaper's pitch correction. So when I imported the .wav file rather than "adjusting the files tempo to match the project" I just let it play "at source tempo", and voila, it works! However, it's still relatively useless if the file is playing a different tempo than the rest of my project -.-"

If anyone has any advice or suggestions I'm all ears!

Thanks a ton,

Be well

Last edited:
Hello all,

So I recently just made a new desktop computer and installed all the software I was using previously on my laptop. Everything seems to be working fine except for the fact Reaper crashes every single time it's about to play an imported .wav file.

However, it seems to only crash with specific drum samples I have (which work perfectly fine on my laptop). I tried downloading some .wav sound effects and they play fine in Reaper, furthermore it can play back .wav files Reaper rendered itself.

I've tried downloading previous versions of Reaper with no avail.

If anyone has any advice or suggestions I'm all ears!

Thanks a ton,

Be well

My first comment would be a corrupt file. If it is a track, try rendering (offline render) the track again, put it in a new track, remove the old one and see if that works. It shouldn't crash, but if the track is bad, that would be my first quick thoughts on it. Or try copying the wav file again. If your it was on a bad sector or something could have caused it to become corrupt. Doesn't happen that often any more, but it still can.

Hmm, yeah I suppose a corrupt file is possible, but the thing is I can play the .wav files outside of Reaper. As for rendering, even in offline render the program crashes if the .wav file is on a track :wtf:

EDIT: I've made an interesting discovery. The crash report said I had a problem with "elastique2.dll", which I found out is part of Reaper's pitch correction. So when I imported the .wav file rather than "adjusting the files tempo to match the project" I just let it play "at source tempo", and voila, it works! However, it's still relatively useless if the file is playing a different tempo than the rest of my project -.-"

Last edited:
Hmm, yeah I suppose a corrupt file is possible, but the thing is I can play the .wav files outside of Reaper. As for rendering, even in offline render the program crashes if the .wav file is on a track :wtf:

Bounce it then just to get a new file and see if that corrects the problem. Seems funny just one file would do that.

I wasn't sure how to replace that individual file, so I completely uninstalled Reaper and downloaded a new setup file but I'm still getting the same problem. I just tried putting the drum sample in with "imported source tempo" , and then manually switching it from Reaper while using the "preserve pitch" function and Reaper crashed. When I don't use the preserve pitch function the program doesn't crash. I guess it's safe to say this isn't a .wav playback problem afterall :D

I wasn't sure how to replace that individual file, so I completely uninstalled Reaper and downloaded a new setup file but I'm still getting the same problem. I just tried putting the drum sample in with "imported source tempo" , and then manually switching it from Reaper while using the "preserve pitch" function and Reaper crashed. When I don't use the preserve pitch function the program doesn't crash. I guess it's safe to say this isn't a .wav playback problem afterall :D
Are you using the April release of Reaper (4.x)? If not this might have been fixed.

Yes, I am. I tried replacing the .dll file and the entire Reaper pitch folder but still no luck...

Try this. Bring the drum sample in Audacity and export it back out as drumsample01, then bring it into Reaper. I am assuming this is an actual drum wave file clip inside a track and you are lining up the beats to the song tempo?

I seem to have solved the problem by switching the "take pitch shift/time stretch mode" to Soundtouch versus the "project default" which I suppose was related to the elastique2.dll file! Let's hope this is a permanent fix ^.^

Thanks so much, be well!

I seem to have solved the problem by switching the "take pitch shift/time stretch mode" to Soundtouch versus the "project default" which I suppose was related to the elastique2.dll file! Let's hope this is a permanent fix ^.^

Thanks so much, be well!

Glad to hear it is moving. Good Luck.

Back