Copying paste time selection of all tracks

mcmac74

Morning

Working on a song and decided I want the intro 4 bars longer...I've done time selection to try and copy the first four bars of the entire song and thought it would be a simple case of doing copy selected area of items and then pasting in at the start of the song. I cant seem to get it pasted in. I've made sure that all tracks are selected so not sure why it's not working.

Regards Mark

yep . . . it should be easy

So do you have four bars (at least) worth of room at the start where you want to copy the four bars to?

If yes, then:

1 click and drag to highlight the area you want to copy (i.e. the four bars of interest).

2 right click and drag within this area to select all the tracks you want to copy (or ctrl click on each)

3 Ctrl left click on one of the highlighted tracks and drag the whole lot to where you want them to go. If you have snap-to-grid on (Alt S), they should sit nicely where you want them to go.

If you don't have room at the start, you can click and drag to highlight the first four bars of the song, right click and select 'insert empty space into selection'

I'm struggling with this one gents...I've created a region of space which is the same as first 4 bars. (Snap tool is off as the song doesn't sit evenly on the grid. Ie: the first bar starts between two if the markers so the space is manually judged which is obviously a little tricky). I've then gone back to the original first 4 bars and copied selected area of items (with all tracks highlighted). I go to paste and nothing happens. What is going awry here?

Cheers
Mark

If you are using Regions, and your tracks are Split, you don't even have to "Copy/Paste". You can hold Ctrl and Drag the Region to where you want the "Copy".

If you are using Regions, and your tracks are Split, you don't even have to "Copy/Paste". You can hold Ctrl and Drag the Region to where you want the "Copy".

Pretty much what he said ^^^

You don't necessarily need regions or splits. Highlight the area you want to copy, select the items in that area, then click CTRL and drag it into position.

How do I ensure that the empty space region is the same length as the selected area i want to copy and paste without using the snap tool (which I cant because the song starts in between grid lines )...I dont really know how the split function works or why its needed in what I'm doing.

At the start of the song, click and drag over an area that as big as or bigger than the space you need to put the intro.

Right click on this and select "insert empty space in selection". This will create a space of that size and push everything in it to the right.

You can then follow the earlier selections, i.e. and click and drag over the area you want to copy, CTRL + click on all the items that you want to copy across to the begining, the CTRL + click and drag them into the space you've created.

At the start of the song, click and drag over an area that as big as or bigger than the space you need to put the intro.

Right click on this and select "insert empty space in selection". This will create a space of that size and push everything in it to the right.

You can then follow the earlier selections, i.e. and click and drag over the area you want to copy, CTRL + click on all the items that you want to copy across to the begining, the CTRL + click and drag them into the space you've created.

I've inserted a space to the left as before...I dont have a mouse just the lap top pad so I then do a time selection for the four bars (in the area above the grid) I'm making sure that all tracks are highlighted then I right click and paste in the empty space. For some reason it is only pasting one guitar track and missing out the other 11 tracks. Theres no obvious reason why. It doesn't look any different in the display...the guitar in question is halfway down the list so I'm not mistakenly highlighlighting it...stumped and halfway towards losing my shit!

Mark

You have to highlight the area you want to copy across, then click on every track within that area, otherwise it will only copy the selected track, which in your case was just the guitar track.

Ok...I did click on every track to highlight before selecting area...wrong way round? BTW...is there a quick way to highlight all tracks rather than cntl click individually?

Cheers

You won't need to highlight or select any tracks at all if you just create a Region and Ctrl + Drag the Region. Forget the tracks, forget the items... the whole idea behind the Region is to make it easy for you to do this.

Ok...I did click on every track to highlight before selecting area...wrong way round? BTW...is there a quick way to highlight all tracks rather than cntl click individually?

Cheers

Yes. Mentioned earlier.

Highlight the area, right click and drag within the area to cover all items. This will select any item you have dragged over. If an item extends beyond the area, it will appear as being selected, but only the bit inside the area will be copied across.

Yes. Mentioned earlier.

Highlight the area, right click and drag within the area to cover all items. This will select any item you have dragged over. If an item extends beyond the area, it will appear as being selected, but only the bit inside the area will be copied across.

Thanks for all the pointers...finally sorted it. I was under the impression that selecting which track(s) to move was a case of making sure track went to light grey on the far left (where the track inputs /effects etc are),hence the temporary loss of will to live...btw...I did manage to drop the four bars in with only a minor glitch that you would only hear if listening closely. It would have been a lot easier if a could have used the snap tool but as i mentioned earlier, the song starts midway between snap points. How would you make sure that your beat / tempo fits those snap points?

Mark

Turn snap off, manually line up your "beat" to the grid lines, turn snap back on and slice off the front of the items that are not on the grid.

How would you make sure that your beat / tempo fits those snap points?

Reaper gives you a number of ways of doing it.

One way is to select all tracks and shift them so that they all start on a bar.

Then select the area of the song that covers the first four bars (which is what you want to replicate).

Right click on a space somewhere in this area. Select 'create measure from time selection . . .', enter 4 where it asks for number of bars.

This will place tempo markers on the time line.

Go to the very first bar on the time line and do Shift C to enter a new tempo and change the tempo shown to the new tempo revealed above.

You may have to reposition the tracks back on to a grid as a result of entering a new tempo, but you can now snap the copied fourbars to a grid once you've done this.

Reaper gives you a number of ways of doing it.

One way is to select all tracks and shift them so that they all start on a bar.

Then select the area of the song that covers the first four bars (which is what you want to replicate).

Right click on a space somewhere in this area. Select 'create measure from time selection . . .', enter 4 where it asks for number of bars.

This will place tempo markers on the time line.

Go to the very first bar on the time line and do Shift C to enter a new tempo and change the tempo shown to the new tempo revealed above.

You may have to reposition the tracks back on to a grid as a result of entering a new tempo, but you can now snap the copied fourbars to a grid once you've done this.

Cool. Thank you ?

Back