Complete ReaComp Overview

Wow. Nice video. Never used ReaComp (Reason user), but I may use it as a VST. Very well thought out and easy to use compressor!

Nicely explained. Its great to know exactly what some of the terms really mean (never knew the background of the weird knee setting!). If I had know some of this stuff 5 years ago, I probably would have saved hours of futzing around, but in the end practice is my best teacher.

ha - yes - I literally set out to make the video that I wish I had watched when I started this journey!

That is likely the most comprehensive description of compression I have ever seen. Props to you man!

You should post also in User Contributions. Or I could duplicate it there I suppose.

Thanks man - I did just that - I appreciate the recommendation!

Well explained and great presentation with visuals. Look forward to seeing/hearing more from you man. I'm a Cubase guy myself, but the basics are the same. Many can benefit from these type of on point explanations.

Again, cheers!

...never knew the background of the weird knee setting...
Hey I’m in this video! :)

The funny thing is that the old “weird knee” setting actually works the way [MENTION=11732]gbondo9[/MENTION] shows in the video. The knee spreads around the threshold so that you start to get some compression below the threshold but don’t reach the full ratio until the input is some point above the threshold. With some (perhaps rather extreme) settings, this leads to situations where quieter signals come out louder than louder signals, and if you’re trying to use it for a hard limit (I use it for saturation all the time since they fixed it), it just doesn’t work right at all.

The new knee is actually all below the threshold. If you set the ratio to infinite, no output will ever exceed the threshold. (Well, time constants can fuck up the hard limit, but we know that, right?)

Hey I’m in this video! :)

The funny thing is that the old “weird knee” setting actually works the way [MENTION=11732]gbondo9[/MENTION] shows in the video. The knee spreads around the threshold so that you start to get some compression below the threshold but don’t reach the full ratio until the input is some point above the threshold. With some (perhaps rather extreme) settings, this leads to situations where quieter signals come out louder than louder signals, and if you’re trying to use it for a hard limit (I use it for saturation all the time since they fixed it), it just doesn’t work right at all.

The new knee is actually all below the threshold. If you set the ratio to infinite, no output will ever exceed the threshold. (Well, time constants can fuck up the hard limit, but we know that, right?)

I seem to recall them fixing that at some point, yeah. "Weird knee" is their old (definitely broken) algorithm kept around for legacy purposes.

Back